SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-10-11, 05:12 PM   #1
suzuki_lady7

Default new piston and rings!

hello all, me with the sv400 again! to those that have read i was having problems with this bike from the start, after initially getting it to run, i had to replace the rear cylinder head as i had a burnt out valve, i would have replaced the valve but could not source the parts at all! so i got this one shipped in from america. so success! i was good to go and did afew hundred miles on it while we had just abit of summer left.

the problem didnt end there though, it was smoking more than i do!!
so once again i have now shipped in a cylinder block, new piston and rings! all thanks to Zoran from twf racing.

as a temporary measure before finding this, i bought some holts piston seal, and put 20w 50 in to try and reduce oil consumption, however i really do not reccomend this as it didnt make the slightest bit of difference

So today i have taken off the cylinder head, block and old piston to identify the problem, but i am jinxed and every time i was getting busy the heavens opened up.

tomorrows job will be to put the new piston and rings in and the block, but i will have to leave it there as i am waiting on new head gasket.

Just thought id update since last time i wrote on here, and i'd just like to say how pleased i am with the way the 400 performs! its suprised me, i was used to the buzz of the zxr inline 4, but suzy is a much more fun bike to ride in my opinion. i will persevere and cannot wait to take her for a blast when everything is running at 100% i will post some pics of here when the job is done, i have resprayed and repaired the fairings so she looks much prettier than she did when i got her. you can let me know what you all think then. cheers all
Old 19-10-11, 06:57 PM   #2
victor_meldrew

Default Re: new piston and rings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki_lady7 View Post

So today i have taken off the cylinder head, block and old piston to identify the problem, but i am jinxed and every time i was getting busy the heavens opened up.
Hello again.
If your bike is outside in the back yard, you could buy a gazeebo !

Someone gave me one this year, and its been brill for keeping the bike under when it rains (wasn't so hot in hurrican Katia, though - I came home to find it hovering 2 feet off the ground, tethered to a tree and the washing line hooks on the house fortunately!)

Cant help you with cylinder replacement though I'm cr@p with mechanical stuff ....
Old 19-10-11, 11:44 PM   #3
husky03
Mega Poster

you'd be better buying a 650 lump and swapping over mrs.
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-11, 08:31 AM   #4
HoL

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky03 View Post
you'd be better buying a 650 lump and swapping over mrs.
LOL where could she possibly find one or three of those?
Old 20-10-11, 09:04 AM   #5
husky03
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoL View Post
LOL where could she possibly find one or three of those?
not from me as mine have been spoken for at the moment-mind you i did show where had one for sale for a reasonable price
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote