SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 18-10-17, 08:16 PM   #4271
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
This was my other gift from my wife.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Love those.
Old 18-10-17, 08:17 PM   #4272
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

The struts sound fine, but you know that already. You need a gripper tool, DO NOT use water pump pliers or similar. You can buy stuff but basically a tight-fitting rubber bung (cork) is the thing, you can buy sort of adjustable cones. You jam it in, then push in as you turn, and the rubber expands and grips, eventually it comes loose. I work in a lab so I have a set of loads of sizes of these. I would try leaving it on a radiator to warm through, as the female thread will expand more than the male thread, and just try with Fingers of Doom, or press it into your palm while twisting. It's frustrating because it's fairly simple but for something to grip it with. It you mess it up you'll distort the threads and the front element will never go back in.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-17, 09:00 PM   #4273
Kenzie

Typical, got it apart. Put it into the Palm of one hand and the offending part in the heel of the other and twisted. Freed off the part of the release that had jammed. Will clean the aperture blades as they are sticky and clean the fungus, not to mention cleaning off the grease of doom. Might get some liquid electrical tape for the bellows.

Last edited by Kenzie; 18-10-17 at 09:05 PM.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-17, 07:16 AM   #4274
Kenzie

Got the shutter back together and went to test it and it had jammed up again. Took it apart again and it turned out it had activated the self timer and knocked it into x sync instead of m sync. Just need to sort the bellows out now.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kenzie; 19-10-17 at 01:18 PM.
Old 21-10-17, 01:04 PM   #4275
Kenzie

Just trying a silicon repair attemtp on the Isolette bellow, just waiting for it to dry. The shutter is back together as per my last post but the coatings on the lenses are shot. Probably will get some flair but won't know until I shoot it. Just need to sort the bent film door out and then set the focus.
Johnny, have you got any tips on buying a Kiev? Seen one on eBay that I like. Not keen on the ones with a meter on the top.

Last edited by Kenzie; 21-10-17 at 07:08 PM.
Old 21-10-17, 08:14 PM   #4276
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Hmm, well the best ones are the model II not the IV but buy the earliest you can. The first two numbers of the serial number are the year of manufacture, 60s good, 70s/80s not good. If someone can vouch that it really is fully working and/or film tested then great. Know what you mean about the meter, it is pretty ugly. I don't understand all the model IVs e.g. an ad will say "type 3" but it's nuances really. I think an OK IV goes for about £25-30 and up to £60 for a II. The lenses are about £15-20 for a 50mm I think.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-17, 08:41 PM   #4277
Kenzie

Well there is a 4M at £22 at the moment, meter is dead. There is a late 44AM at £44.99 which is a 1983.
Old 22-10-17, 10:02 AM   #4278
yokohama

I wouldn't mind a Kiev myself at some point. But to make it special, I want one the same age as me and produced in my birth year, which I think is early model 4.
Raining again today. Took the Ricoh out with me and managed 2 shots. Air quality is starting to worsen too. The pm2.5 hit 180 for 3 days this week. That's over 5 times more than WHO recommended levels I think. Once it reaches 200, the mask will go on. I broke a tooth too so will have the pleasure of Chinese dentistry to come.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-17, 02:16 PM   #4279
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I've been playing with the T70 that keith_d sent me. Such a strange design concept. I can see why Canon started from scratch with the Eos line. The T70 has 3 program modes, Tv and manual. The viewfinder only shows apertures, you have to look at the LCD to see what shutter is being selected.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Old 22-10-17, 03:34 PM   #4280
Kenzie

Oh no Yoko, how did you manage that? I might take a punt on the one with the meter. Can't really justify £50 at the moment. I've read about T70s but not held one.

Edit, just seen Gripe of the day.

Last edited by Kenzie; 22-10-17 at 04:24 PM.