SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-10-17, 09:30 PM   #1
Ericck

Default Noob from Essex

Hi guys,

New to the forum so thought I should say hi.

Looking to buy an SV as a second bike. Got to be the upright naked version as too old and creaky for an S model.

Have viewed a couple of curvys but unfortunately they both had issues.

Got a couple more in the pipeline but if anyone knows of a decent bike for sale then please let me know.
Ericck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-17, 06:36 AM   #2
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: Noob from Essex

Good luck
Old 05-10-17, 08:39 AM   #3
Mega Poster

Go for the 1000 model, more common in naked guise.

Otherwise, get an S and spend £150ish in a topyoke from http://topyokes.uk with the naked style bars. He can sometimes be slow with his delivery (and I wouldn't order brake lines from him) but the kit is good quality
Old 06-10-17, 07:51 AM   #4
Ericck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Go for the 1000 model, more common in naked guise.

Otherwise, get an S and spend £150ish in a topyoke from http://topyokes.uk with the naked style bars. He can sometimes be slow with his delivery (and I wouldn't order brake lines from him) but the kit is good quality

Don't really fancy the 1000 model. Already got a Bandit 1200. Just looking for a fun bike really and I like the way the 650 rides.

I did look into changing the bars etc on an S an even watched a youtube video on how to do it. Not in a rush though so will wait until I find a naked.
Old 07-10-17, 02:50 PM   #5
Heorot

What's your budget? there are a few for sale on ebay.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 08:31 AM   #6
Ericck

Don't really want to spend more than 2K. It is the end of the season, I am not in a rush as I have a bike to ride and am also looking for a good deal.

There are a few on Ebay but mainly dealer bikes. Not a problem buying from a dealer but they can keep them for the winter and I will look at dealer bikes in January if I haven't found a good one before then.

Anything within about 75 miles of me that is recently publicly advertised I have probably enquired about it. The ebay yellow one in Barking, the guy said the MOT had expired but I could test ride around his yard and if I knew anything about bikes I could tell is was a good un without riding it, yeah right. Another was advertised as immaculate best example you will find. The oil was filth, all the switch gear hanging off, radiator cap squished and stuck, oil filter rusted on. I walked away before I found anything else. Last one I looked at was great until I got it warm, idle surging everywhere, possible vacuum or air leak.

So I am being a bit choosy but if anyone knows of a genuine, fairly priced bike then I have the cash waiting.
Old 08-10-17, 10:12 AM   #7
Heorot

It's a curvy but it's near you at Wivenhoe.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/suzuki-mot...650/1268633688

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 11:01 AM   #8
Ericck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
It's a curvy but it's near you at Wivenhoe.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/suzuki-mot...650/1268633688

Thanks Heorot but that's the one with the erratic and surging idle : (
Old 10-10-17, 11:24 PM   #9
Bunkle

Apologies for the delay getting back to you Ericck, pm sent regarding my naked curvy.

Bimbling - VZ Marauder with a 600 Bandit lump
Bunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-17, 08:33 AM   #10
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericck View Post
The ebay yellow one in Barking, the guy said the MOT had expired but I could test ride around his yard and if I knew anything about bikes I could tell is was a good un without riding it, yeah right. Another was advertised as immaculate best example you will find. The oil was filth, all the switch gear hanging off, radiator cap squished and stuck, oil filter rusted on. I walked away before I found anything else. Last one I looked at was great until I got it warm, idle surging everywhere, possible vacuum or air leak.

So I am being a bit choosy but if anyone knows of a genuine, fairly priced bike then I have the cash waiting.
I've always worked on the principal that if you're good enough to spot issues then you're probably good enough to fix them..... Obviously there are some pure minter genuine bikes out there but they are few and far between, and will quite rightly attract top money.

SV's by their nature are relatively cheap bikes bought quite often by the less experienced riders looking to get their foot onto the biking ladder. The older ones especially are going to have a lifetime of small issues that have either been bodged or ignored which to someone who knows what they are looking for are usually easy to put right. If you find one that hasn't got issues then it is likely to belong to someone who knows their bikes and will also know exactly what it's worth, it certainly won't belong to someone who has paid a dealer to keep it that way!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote