SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-11-08, 08:34 AM   #1
Baz

Default Bike losing power / cutting out

Hi All

I think I know what the problem is hear but would feel allot better if some of you guys could offer some advice.
Now it has been very misty / foggy the last two days and what I'm thinking is the water is getting into the front plug and I'm losing power that way.
Finished work yesterday started the bike no bother, pulled away got to the first junction and the bike cut out. Started her up again and noticed the rev's were hovering around 1000 to about 1100 but down to about 900. Opened the choke a little just to bring the rev's up a bit and rode home fine, closed the choke about 1 mile into the journey and all seemed well.
This morning same again, started fine but got to the first junction and she cut out.
All the way down to work the bike seemed to be losing power every time I tried to accelerate got a bit scary a points when overtaking and all of a sudden I have no power.
Am I talking bollards hear or is it likely to be the weather affecting the bike?
Cheers
Old 05-11-08, 09:09 AM   #2
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike losing power / cutting out

Wasn't raining in ABD (but very misty/foggy indeed), so water in spark plug...
But if it turns out to be the problem and you want to take care of it, give us a shout.
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-08, 09:11 AM   #3
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Its probably not moisture in the front plug, that happens when its slashig it down. Theres a thing called carb icing which someone knowledgable will explain. Mine don't like this weather, they run like crap on short journeys. The twins don't get warm enough on a short journey and tell me so. I start with a cough in a morning, sometimes can struggle to get revs even after choke, at times i can ride down the road and it carks it. So a little choke again and struggle to work. Its a combination of a battery thats not got a good run, and damp in the system. Get a good run out of the bike and it helps no end at this time of year, if your only travelling a mile or four.

what I have found has helped in the past is when I get home and the exhaust can is good and warm, I stuff a dry rag down it. It stops moisture collecting further down the downpipe

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-08, 09:12 AM   #4
Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyziowg View Post
Wasn't raining in ABD (but very misty/foggy indeed), so water in spark plug...
But if it turns out to be the problem and you want to take care of it, give us a shout.
Cheers mate I may well do that, just hope I can get home tonight
Old 05-11-08, 09:13 AM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

Similar post by someone else on the same topic (weird problem was the post). All the suggestions were damp causing front spark plug to cut out. I know it happened to me the when I picked up my SV on a wet day, scared the absolute bejesus out of me. Problem occurred after riding through big puddle! Here's some hints to help out & prevent further trouble.
1. Take plug cap out, spray some WD40 down the plug hole, this will hopefully cure the cutting out.
2. Smear some silcon grease underneath the rubber grommet that seals the plug cap into the plug hole. Makes a better seal. Not on the plug or inside the plug cap where the electrical contacts are. Maplins should stock this.
3 Make sure drain hole for (right hand side of front cylinder) is not blocked, so any moisture can escape.
4. Fit a fenda extenda (Pyramid plastics) to prevent water getting there in the first place.

Hope this helps
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-08, 09:14 AM   #6
dyzio
Mega Poster

Could be the carb icing... There's an additive (Silkolene Pro FST I think), that is supposed to help.

EDIT:
I've got some of that stuff, worth a try.

Last edited by dyzio; 05-11-08 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-11-08, 09:16 AM   #7
dyzio
Mega Poster

Maviczap
Yes, I've had the water problem too, and as DB says that happens when its slashig it down. Aberdeen's been kinda dry for the past few days.
Old 05-11-08, 09:16 AM   #8
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

well I did mention that too, sounds more likely to be a bit of icing. Scotlands temps have gone a bit chillier than down here, pretty much suspect its the culprit

Old 05-11-08, 09:29 AM   #9
Baz

Thanks for all the tips guys.
My commute is about 40 mile so would have thought this would be long enough for the bike to warm up.
Bike has been out in serious rain and I do mean serious (see ride out of the stuarty boy), and never had any problems with it.

maviczap, I'll give that a go cheers mate.

dizzyblonde, it has been cold but I’ve had it out in much colder with no probs would it be the combination of cold and the heavy mist?

dyziowg, have you tried this Silkolene Pro FST stuff then?
Old 05-11-08, 09:31 AM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

when was the last time you balanced carbs/throttle thingies?