SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-10-07, 07:29 PM   #1
natcar

Default Just picked up my SV

Just picked up my SV which is great, although managed to get completeley lost as I thought I would try to get home without satnav/map/any idea where I was going and made a 50mile trip home 150miles. I was fairly comfortable with the GS500 i passed my test on, but felt less confident/in control than I did on the first day of my CBT earlier today, although it is getting easier as I get used to the extra power/different handling.
It is the first time I have been out since my old 125 10 years ago in a) the dark b)rain c)motorway d)on my own e)rush hour taffic f)more powerful/unfamiliar bike so I suppose it can only get easier. I realise I need to get used to the bike but would like some advice on further training.
I will speak to my instructors again who were excellent. I have also been recommended a track day to improve my cornering. Are there any other tips/courses worthwhile- heard of IAM course which seems to be recommended.
Old 09-10-07, 07:41 PM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: Just picked up my SV

i'd guess it's an S model with the fairing? the lack of control feeling is just the way you sit on the bike, hunched over the bars like that, probably coupled with new bike nerves, i felt exactly the same way when i got my SV.

i'd get used to the bike a bit before going for further training, if you don't feel in control of the bike a track day will teach you nothing IMO - get out and ride with some other people and get comfy on the bike first, once actually controlling the bike is second nature you'll find adjusting your technique far simpler, i know because i tried to do too much to begin with and just ended up overthinking the whole process, just go out and have fun, take it easy and you'll be fine
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-07, 07:53 PM   #3
Biker_Billy

When I picked my SV up in June, the ride back was not at all enjoyable - when I got on the bike I could hardly get my feet on the pegs (I learnt on a CCM R30), they felt so high up, and so far back. Its amazing what a week or so riding does to improve how you feel on a bike.

Stick with it, you'll be fine.

And congrats on the purchase..

Billy.
Old 09-10-07, 07:56 PM   #4
vzzzbuxt

congrats on the purchase matey, im sure your like it.. for a general use bike they really are great fun... hence this forum!!!

like they say spend a week riding it...get to grips with it and learn it

all the best mate
Old 09-10-07, 07:58 PM   #5
metalmonkey

Awesome dude! Great isn't it, I felt eactly the same when I got my SV I wa so execited didn't what do with myself

I had mine deliverd to my house on a sunny day off! Singed the paper work ran back into the house got my leathers on and other kit then got my new bike.
It was little scary at first, first trick was getting going then the fuel light came on I need petrol, wobbled in the petrol station got fuel and wobbled out again

After 30 miles I felt alot better, now a nearly a 1000 miles on I love my bike and feel so much better every time I ride. I'm comfortable on the bike, my leathers are wearing in and have an idea of just what the bike is able to do.

I would ride around for a while, get the bike run in and ride some more. I'm doing a bike safe next week, so I would suggest doing that first. My plan is next year to go for the advanced licence, I'm hoping evetually to get my work ones then I get paid to ride a bike for work rock on

What SV have you got???

Well good luck dude and enjoy your bike, and if you come down south to London give us a shout!
Old 09-10-07, 08:20 PM   #6
natcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
A

What SV have you got???
This one. http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=92927

Thanks for the tips/reassurance - I'll have a relaxed pootle around over next few weeks then until I get used to it. Very pleased I have ABS - although hope not to use it too often it is reassuring that if I grab a handful of brake I'm not going to end up on the floor.
Old 09-10-07, 08:27 PM   #7
the white rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by natcar View Post
This one. http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=92927

Thanks for the tips/reassurance - I'll have a relaxed pootle around over next few weeks then until I get used to it. Very pleased I have ABS - although hope not to use it too often it is reassuring that if I grab a handful of brake I'm not going to end up on the floor.
Are you sure you have ABS?
Old 09-10-07, 08:40 PM   #8
natcar

Not entirely sure- is it not ? -thought the s had abs? Maybe I'm just highly skilled in hard braking in the wet?
Old 09-10-07, 08:45 PM   #9
natcar

Oops just checked - not ABS- I'll stop grabbing on the handle then in the wet/diesel spills.
Old 09-10-07, 08:47 PM   #10
sinbad

You don't have ABS if it's just a normal K5!

edit: phew you found out for yourself. That has the potential to be a serious problem doesn't it?

-----whilst I'm typing. After a while you'll be at home. When I first got my k4 (without ABS ) I was put off a bit by how high the pegs felt, how low and close together the bars felt and how responsive the throttle was, but you adapt so quickly you wonder why you ever had the slightest problem. Enjoy

Last edited by sinbad; 09-10-07 at 08:50 PM.