SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 23-05-12, 03:08 PM   #21
StewartR

Default Re: 2 Weeks+Scotland=???

+1 for Applecross...

Quote:
The road is one of few in the Scottish Highlands that is engineered similarly to roads through the great mountain passes in the Alps, with very tight hairpin bends that switch back and forth up the hillside and gradients that approach 20%. It boasts the greatest ascent of any road climb in the UK, rising from sea level at Applecross to 626 metres (2,054 ft), and is the third highest road in Scotland.
From Wikipedia.

PS: Google "Bealach na Ba"

Last edited by StewartR; 23-05-12 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Idiocy.
Old 23-05-12, 04:03 PM   #22
barryl55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTommyH View Post
I've just done 4 days up there..... Can send you the route files for TYRE if that helps.

Cairngorms are a must, as is Applecross (both roads) also Applecross to Gairloch and Gairloch to Ullapool are pretty good.

Have fun.
I'm originally from Gairloch, the road to Ullapool is good fun. Shame that it is not often you get a good day though!

The Applecross road from Kinlochewe is great too.
Old 23-05-12, 05:15 PM   #23
Bibio
Mega Poster

2 Weeks+Scotland+July=soaked threw, burnt to a crisp and bitten to death. but no matter where you go you will be glad you did.

best bit of advice i will give is that if you are going anywhere past Inverness then carry a jerry can.

http://www.whatgas.com/petrol-prices/scotland.html
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-12, 07:14 PM   #24
DaveP

Wow... Awesome response...Thank you very much for all the help in information offered so far... Its goin to take me a while to get through it all.

I did attend the GMII i believe it was, actually met some of you as well i believe... I got a small taste of what scotland had to offer then and hopefully will get a lot more this time round.

Please keep any suggestions comming in and i will keep everyone informed of the plans once they come together.

Cheers

Dave
Old 23-05-12, 09:25 PM   #25
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Sorry I'm back posting more

I'd also say have a go at going over the sea to Skye on this http://www.skyeferry.co.uk/index.html

I loved the short trip over the water on the ferry only cost £5.

To be honest if it was me I'd probably go the other way so you can get the great view below of Loch Duich and the Five Sisters behind as you come down the end of the old military road from Glenelg to Invershiel.

http://g.co/maps/xkjrf

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-12, 09:50 PM   #26
TicklinJock

I'm new to here but I wonder if anyone does "....carry a jerry can."
I went for a wee spin round Dundonnel/Gairloch last night. Gorgeous area with next to no traffic. But I was running on fumes on the way into Dingwall, forty odd miles after the light came on. The little petrol stations out west aint open in the evening.
TicklinJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-12, 09:59 PM   #27
Bibio
Mega Poster

yup we scots know that but those southern pooftrs dont and expect everything to be open 24/7 and petrol every 10 miles. so best they carry either a nice bottle of the good stuff or a jerry can.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-12, 09:22 PM   #28
Tiger 55

With a wee bit of planning and a telephone you can always find out if any given petrol station will be open or not.

Heck, tell them you're coming in a Range Rover Sport and they'll probably open up especially for you.

I've never carried a jerry can, although I have run out once or twice now I think about it. Hey, used to happen to Ted Simon all the time. Part of the adventure...
Old 28-05-12, 05:08 PM   #29
haggis

Fuel stops on Monday to Saturday you should be ok unless you're riding late at night, Sundays are a mixed bag though. The best policy is to adpot the 'better safe than sorry' attitude - if you pass an open garage and the end of your run is further than the remaining tank range, turn around and fill up!!!

Pushing almost 'dry weight' bikes in hilly Scotland is no fun - I can tell you! Ahh, i remember it well. Gorgeous day, having some fast paced fun with a mate, light comes on at Laggan, ride 40miles to find a closed garage (cashing up inside, the bugger!), its 4 miles to the next one, and i run out after 3. All uphill, 25'C, midgies just waking up and looking for brekkie. Collapse at the pump.
Old 28-05-12, 05:15 PM   #30
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
so best they carry either a nice bottle of the good stuff or a jerry can.
My fortnight in Scotland will involve lots of evening rides (weather dependent!) so this is a grand tip for me