SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-02-18, 01:42 PM   #11
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
I've been using W10 since the Beta and love it.
You pretty much need an SSD to reap the speed benefits though. On an SSD it's faster than Ubuntu that I have as a dual boot, in fact I hardly use Ubuntu, all the stuff people moan about you can turn off, I just leave it on though.
Exactly my experience as far as W10 goes. I'm using it on all our house machines and on this Linx 10 tablet ad it's very rapid indeed.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-18, 01:44 PM   #12
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Exactly my experience as far as W10 goes. I'm using it on all our house machines and on this Linx 10 tablet ad it's very rapid indeed.
Mine is a Linx too. Amazing value.
Old 06-02-18, 01:50 PM   #13
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Yep, I bought a refurb from Ebuyer. graphics cip died on the first one so they sent me another one with W10 already on it.

When 1709 was released I did a completely clean install from a flash drive. It runs like lightening now and with none of the driver issues I had before.

Good quality components it seems, Intel etc.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-18, 02:02 PM   #14
ophic
Mega Poster

One beef I did have was the automatic assignment of 2 directories within "This PC" to my OneDrive.

I think it was Documents and one other, maybe Pictures. Still it was fixed with a quick google and a registry hack.

I didn't expect to be editing the registry within 10 minutes of switching it on...
Old 06-02-18, 03:03 PM   #15
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i'm testing a workaround just now that will let you choose updates just like win7. its in the admin templates.
so far it works

update for defender asking for me to download it.
Bibio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-18, 08:46 PM   #16
maviczap
Mega Poster

I've installed 10 on my media centre, after swapping C drive to an SSD, as it was bloomin sluggish on Win7

I've also updated my garage PC which already had a SSD hard drive, didn't notice much difference in speed, and I'm just getting used to navigating round it.

I have installed it on a bigger SSD and upgraded it to the 64 bit version as a clean install, for my main PC, but not swapped it with the current SSD which is still on Win7. I did this to beat the deadline for free installations, which doesn't seem to have finished.

My daughters laptop was also upgraded to 10

From what I've seen of all the various incarnations it looks ok, and I'll bite the bullet and swap the ssd in my main PC, and then I can upgrade the memory to more than the current 4gb limited by Win7 32bit on the current SSD.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 11:10 PM   #17
Bibio
Mega Poster

now i have had a few days to play i can say its better than win7 in some ways.

HDD to HDD SATA3 file transfers are faster.
usb2/3 thumb drives file transfers are faster.
for some reason video playback via kodi or MPC-HC is a lot better, sharper and cleaner.

now the annoying part, even though i'm now the administrator instead of a user account i still dont have full control over the system even though i have granted full access and taken ownership of everything. seems like microsoft have locked stuff down. in win7 you could do as you pleased given the above.

turned off full updates of system, virus and drivers to semi e.g. it should ask me what i want to do instead of automatic. so far the virus does.

dont like the new games, i play solitaire a lot and the new one is complete rubbish. same goes for the calculator.

dont like the default GUI so installed 'classic shell' which makes it look more like a mix of win7 and xp. which makes it a looooot easier to navigate.

TBH if it were not for the fact i wanted to use the netflix app instead of a web page i would not have upgraded. the biggest reason for the netflix app was to integrate with kodi which i have done but still to test with a remote control.
Bibio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-18, 08:44 PM   #18
TEC

You can get the old games here:

https://winaero.com/blog/windows-7-g...ate-and-above/

Just keep a copy of the download cause every-now-and-then one of the updates will knock them out again
Old 19-03-18, 02:57 PM   #19
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I am experimenting with a Raspberry pi 3 at the moment, £35 for the computer (had to find a monitor, mouse and keyboard from the junk cupboard plus a pair of earphones with 3.5mm jack). Downloaded Raspbian (Linux) free download and was gobsmacked at the programs that come with it, Chrome internet browser, Libre Office = equivalent of MS Excel, word, powerpoint, which will open and edit windows documents, also PDF writer and opener. Has 4 USB ports an ethernet socket and wi-fi and bluetooth built in, but best of all it has a built in adblocker, some sites complain about it but I ignore them, I am using it as my browser at the moment and it is just great not to have ads popping up all over. Pretty fast as well, uses an ARM processor and has 40 digital Input / output pins to control real world objects. The story of the raspberry Pi is interesting, it was in about 2006 that Computer science lecturers at Cambridge noticed a big drop off in incoming students knowledge of computers and programming, they got together with ARM (Cambridge based processor designers ) to put together a cheap ($25) computer that people could use to build up their knowledge, the first Pi the Pi Zero was actually given away with a magazine, they chose Linux operating system and to date have distributed over 19 million Pi's of various CPU performance and hardware configurations, they do not stop making older models when they bring out a new one because businesses and project people still buy them as they have based products on them, and their performance is ample for what they need.

Pi will run KODI (free download) and quality of media is surprisingly good.

People have used the Pi for some amazing projects, and Linux is far better than Windows. In fact I am so used to browsing without ads and rubbish popping up that I now find them doubly annoying when I use the windows based PC.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/ras...s-sale-now-35/

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 19-03-18 at 06:23 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-18, 08:22 AM   #20
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Yes but advertising revenue is part of the reason why people get paid for their work.
So do you feel it's fair.?