SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-02-18, 02:27 PM   #1
Talking Heads

Default AL7 One Year On...

That time of year when its time to wake the bike up from its hibernation.
After three months sitting under its cover, on Saturday it started first press of the button.
So far so good.
Off to Cupar at crack of sparrows today for its annual service.
Got there and chain was bone dry, Tutoro Auto seems to have packed in.
Checked it and found need to tweak the adjuster a good bit more to get the lube flowing in colder weather.
All good with bike and fee for service quite reasonable.
I remember a while back there was a bit of a hoo-haa about spark plugs needing to be changed at silly short intervals, so quite glad they didn't need changing.
Plus points to Cupar MCs for swift and efficient service, when I was booking it in the service receptionist cleaned my visor before storing my helmet behind the counter.
Little details like that make a big difference.

So to sum up the year on the bike.
Love the motor, like the looks, red definitely the best colour.
Fuel economy surprisingly good, never dropped below 60mpg, normally around 67mpg and have seen over 80mpg on occasion.
Performance more than adequate for anyone who wants to convert their licence into confetti.
(not sure that saying works any more now that licences are fully plastic)

Not at all keen on the complete absence of anything resembling functioning mudguards, back of my jacket is utterly filthy after only 120 miles on damp roads today.
Minus points too for the absence of bungee points for securing luggage on the rear seat.
Minus points for having to cut the side panels to fit the official Suzuki rear rack, its still in the box unused if anyone wants to make me a sensible offer for it...
Minus points for original Dunlop tyres wearing out very quickly, hopefully PR4 replacements will last a good while longer.

All things considered its a brilliant bike and at five grand on the road, has to be one of the best buys in biking, very chuffed with it, but please Mr. Suzuki, how about some proper mudguards, shaft drive or even just a belt?

The new AL8 was in the showroom, still only £5300 otr and there was a good discount on the SV650X too if you like that kind of thing.

Just waiting for the rain to go off now so I can get it cleaned, dried and put away.
Back in the saddle, happy days.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-18, 08:18 PM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: AL7 One Year On...

Bought my AL7 in Feb 2016 delivered as soon as the dealer could get one in May 2016, I wanted red but they weren't bringing them into UK then so got a blue one with black wheels. Also very happy with it and like you have seen around 80mpg on occasions, mostly mid 70's making decent progress. Great all-round package and good away from lights if needed. The standard exhaust sounds OK but I did not like the look of silver heatshield and sprayed it black to match body of silencer.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 19-02-18 at 10:06 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-18, 08:22 AM   #3
NTECUK
Mega Poster

That time of year when its time to wake the bike up from its hibernation.??
Where do you live ?
Old 20-02-18, 08:51 AM   #4
Talking Heads

Aberdeenshire.
Old 20-02-18, 11:03 AM   #5
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Oh it's nice up There in the spring . early summer.
Old 20-02-18, 11:48 AM   #6
Talking Heads

Its nice up here all the time but the council tends to go overboard with the salt at the slightest hint of low temperatures, hence why the SV hasn't been ridden over winter.
Old 20-02-18, 03:36 PM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

From what I have seen of Scotland (every second year we go to Scotland, other years Cornwall) their roads are in better shape than Englands roads and have a grippier surface (but bad news if you have an off and slide). Traffic (or lack of it) in Scotland also makes driving and motorbiking more pleasurable, only the wee biting midges in the west get up your nose (literally) from April to end of August, but no such problem on the drier East side.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 21-02-18, 07:18 PM   #8
Ljay

I am currently biding time to get myself to Cupar and sort out an AL7 just work and other stuff getting in the way but might be interested in the SV650x now just need to find time in next few weeks.
Had asked in Eccosse about Cupar and hearing another good first hand review from start makes it better to know how good they are am lucky in the sunny south (Glasgow).
Ljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-18, 07:51 PM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Spotted this SV650 AL with red frame and wheels - I would have bought it in a heartbeat if it had been available when I got mine

Last edited by SV650rules; 16-08-21 at 10:21 AM.
Old 27-03-18, 08:29 PM   #10
yokohama

I like the colour scheme but that exhaust is hideous.
I was in a dealers today and looking at the new models. They are nice but the seat is so low.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote