SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: how much of the bikes ability can you use?
50% and under 11 22.45%
60% 9 18.37%
70% 13 26.53%
80% 9 18.37%
90% 5 10.20%
100% 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-05, 07:12 PM   #1
weegaz22

Default how much of the bikes ability do you think you can use?

just thought id ask a general question and ask the members how much of their SV's ability do they think they can use? 40%? 100%?

im not talking about top end either.....

just think this may make for an interesting debate once started

tell the %age you selected and why
Old 02-05-05, 07:24 PM   #2
Yams

Very confident on the KTM, not using it anywhere near it's full mind.. but getting confident on it.. would get more condident on it though if it actually worked

SV pretty confident around town, slow stuff etc, was starting to do uturns really tight without a worry and generally confident, not tried knee down or anything on it.. was v confident at knee down on my old ZXR400... r6 i done but always thought the front was going to wash out (once it did..)

All in all, not really using bikes to their abilities yet, but slowly and surely pushing my own abilities and gaining further biking experience.. being young I don't have a great deal of biking experience so got a lot to learn, but willing to put in the track time to learn
Old 02-05-05, 07:41 PM   #3
jonboy

I think it depends how you define "bike's ability". For me this is handling, nothing more. And in that case I've gone for 70% (might be optimistic, not sure).

Old 02-05-05, 07:47 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Ehm... Most of the go, a good chunk of the stop, and I don't know, maybe half of the cornering day to day.

But it depends what you mean... I can use pretty much all the power the SV has to offer in a straight/fairly straight line, but in the real twisties I can't since I'm not great at reading the road or choosing lines, and that slows me down. On the track I use most of it I think... But again my cornering lets me down, and I come off the power early and stay off for too long. So the question needs clarifying I think I'll take most of you on the drag strip but I'll be the last to get home afterwards

I think most riders would be surprised by the corners the SV will take in fairly stock trim (decent tyres maybe). There's been a couple of times on the track when I've thought "Right, I'm well over here" and then started to run wide, funnily enough the bike always has more to give. I went through Duffus something like 20mph faster than I thought I could simply by missing a braking point and having to get on with it, and the bike still wasn't pushed too far.

On the road I've got no intention of using even 3/4 of what the bike has to offer, to be honest 9except for power sometimes, and brakes in an emergency), in fact I've arrived at the level of use I'm at simply because I don't think it makes much sense to push it any harder. If that makes any sense... I'm getting better but I'm not using any more of the bike, I'm just using it more safely.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-05, 07:49 PM   #5
weegaz22

ive went for 80%, it may be optimistic but having ridden with other riders on SV's who are a fair bit quicker (dean, hazel)this is what im basing it on....but in saying that, if rossi was given an sv that percentage may come down to 0.5%
Old 02-05-05, 07:52 PM   #6
weegaz22

and im talking about handling, the ability to get through the twisties at a fairly fast pace....in a straight line ive had the SV on the limiter in 6th showing an indicated(but far out in reality)145mph
Old 02-05-05, 07:58 PM   #7
Warren

i havent an SV, but id say that i can corner at about 90 percent of the bike, providing i know that corner like the back of my hand.

on a road i dont know, i use about 40, say 50.

but usually i use about 10 percent of the bikes acceleration/brake through normal riding.

i would say tho, (not being big headed or anything) that i am pretty damn good with the brakes and slow speed control. not sure why, just i do lots of it. and when i first got my bike, i learned my e-stops pretty well.
Old 02-05-05, 08:00 PM   #8
Iansv

90% of your cbr warren ? so when are you gonna start racing ?

I'd say about 50% on mine atm I'm a chicken ever since I crashed it, maybe 60-70 ish before hand, used to learn it over a fair bit and could keep up good speed even in the twisties...

not anymore tho
Old 02-05-05, 08:02 PM   #9
Warren

im gonna start racing when i can take a corner that i dont know at 90 percent

come to think of it, mabe 90 percent was a bit optomistic,

better make it 80
Old 02-05-05, 09:00 PM   #10
Stig

It was me that voted 100%.

I have used the SV to the limits of its capability, not all the time, and in fact hardly ever, but I have taken it to the limit. This is with a standard bike without the suspension messed with or upgraded in any way. After the big one, I now ride it at about 60% and that's when I'm riding fast.

For me 60% is now just fine thank you very much. At them moment 60% of the bikes capability is probably closer to my 90%. I no longer wish to push either myself or my bike.