SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-06-12, 09:13 AM   #1
agy

Default Tyre recommendation for Pointy?

Can anyone recommend decent and AFFORDABLE tyres? Especially some that are extra good in rain if such thing exists? I'm really broke but I think my tyres have never been replaced (bike is 2006). They look in good nic and tread is good but if they are 6 years old, the compound will be disintegrating by now... don't know if I'm being paranoid but I never felt I had great traction since I bought the bike in May
Old 21-06-12, 09:20 AM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tyre recommendation?

Take a look in the tyre review section for some ideas / guidance. http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138

My personal favourites are Avon Storms, I have run these for years and really like the grip, wet weather capability and cost. I am currently running the latest Michelin PR3 which are phenomenal in the wet but a little squirmy pushing on in the dry. Both the Avons and Michelins are great tyres, but I'll be going back to Avon when the time comes. Both the Avon and Michelin offer more grip than I need on the road. I cannot comment on other tyres as I have no personal experience with them.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-12, 09:25 AM   #3
speedyctr

Whats affordable depends on your budget.
see here - http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138 for much info on the different options out there. I think anything would be a massive improvement on what you have now. When i was looking Michelin PR3 and Avon Storm seem to have the best wet grip. For me I have stuck to Bridgestone as about mid price range and have them already with no probs.

speedyctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-12, 09:28 AM   #4
agy

How worried should I be about riding on my current tyres until I replace them if they indeed are 6 years old?
Old 21-06-12, 09:30 AM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

do you know what make you have on there? if they are Dunlop 220's then they are the originals and were only OK tyres to begin with, the cheaper end are metz z6's (or now superseded by Z8's), diablo strada's, Conti road attack's, the more expensive are the Storm Ultra's (like Mike I use those), dunlop road smarts, michelin Pilot roods (either 2's or 3's), and then the latest from bridgestone (although I've not been a fan of the last 10 years worth of there tyres myself), but as Mike says there is a whole section on tyres in that link.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-12, 09:32 AM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by agy View Post
How worried should I be about riding on my current tyres until I replace them if they indeed are 6 years old?
if you come along tomorrow to Soho, I'll have a quick look for you and let you know.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-12, 09:37 AM   #7
agy

I'm going to try my best to get there tomorrow
Old 21-06-12, 10:05 AM   #8
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Michel ct 2.
Good value. some good deals
every body ravesv about there wet grip.
Old 21-06-12, 12:10 PM   #9
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I have just fitted a pair of Contimotions to my bike and these have so far been faultless.

Grip is excellent, they feel inspiring and not in anyway nervous and cost was affordable.

£160 for both ends from my local garage and I got to play with their dog while the tyres were fitted! The only down side was that I needed a couple of extra wheels weights, which in my view are ugly.

One of the best bits of advice I was given here ages ago and I think is still totally useful is this. You have to really shop around to buy a bad tyre these days! I cannot remember who told me that, but it was one of the regular techie posters on here, so thanks who ever you were.

PS, these tyres have been great in the wet too, which frankly amazed me, at that price I thought that they would be rubbish. How wrong was I?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.

Last edited by Jayneflakes; 21-06-12 at 12:11 PM. Reason: forgot a bit!
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-12, 12:25 PM   #10
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Just don't go for the more sport hoops like corsa deablo .
They need heat to work properly.
Given you ride in the rain allot not such a good choice.