SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-08-08, 08:14 PM   #1
chakraist

Default Exhaust removal issue

Right, so I'm removing the engine of my old SV but I've been particularly ballsed by the exhaust. Not having a decent set of tools I've managed to remove all of the exhaust bolts except the rear header and the front two nuts/studs, of which both are completely rounded, no chance of getting a socket around either one. I reckon I can get the rear header allen bolt out eventually, however.

The main problem is that I would either need to get some decent tools or alternatively drill out the bolt, etc. Although, I'm not sure if I can bypass this completely and just yank the downpipe out as the old engine is being dismantled and sold as component parts?

I'm not sure if just getting the downpipe out by force is a good idea- although the engine is for all intents and purposes disposable - apart from a few bits. What would be more likely to break first, the downpipe or this bit of the engine that holds it in?

Excuse my super technical terminology.
Old 07-08-08, 08:20 PM   #2
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Exhaust removal issue

you won't get the downpipe out by extreme tugging. That will require some skill and proper tools if you've shagged the bolts. If you've ever read my SV rebuild thread you'd see what a tw&t it is to get the damn things out

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 08:21 PM   #3
gaz-sv650s

i had no end of trouble with my exhaust studs (front)

got them both out though by using a blow torch to heat up the engine casing then using a impact stud extractor and loads of penetrating oil

took some bloody time but cheaper than helicoil etc
Old 07-08-08, 08:27 PM   #4
chakraist

But, hypothetically, using the exhaust system as leverage, would the downpipe break or the engine break first? I'm going to give it a go using different methods to remove the exhaust by the means that one should do, but failing that I think it might be hammertime.
Old 07-08-08, 08:33 PM   #5
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

you'd bend the exhaust first. If your selling the engine off as parts, wouldn;t you prefer to make money by selling the exhaust too. If I were you I'd do it properly and profit from a bit of time and effort, creating dollars off ebay from the sale

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 08:45 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakraist View Post
But, hypothetically, using the exhaust system as leverage, would the downpipe break or the engine break first? I'm going to give it a go using different methods to remove the exhaust by the means that one should do, but failing that I think it might be hammertime.
Whoa no don't do that. Will break head and bend the pipework.

If it's that bad use a lump of wood and a big hammer, marks the downpipe but who cares.

Grind the nuts through to break the tension, then tap them round with a punch. Do not try to get the studs out if you're taking the engine out, mich easier to get them pointing upwards then pull them.
Old 07-08-08, 08:51 PM   #7
chakraist

That's a fair point, but my plans so far are as follows:
1 - Remove bloody exhaust system
2 - Remove clutch
3 - Remove old engine
4 - Remove generator/thermostat/starter motor
5 - Put bits on new engine
6 - Put new engine in bike
7 - Put clutch in bike
8 - Attach exhaust to bike
9 - Discover what wire goes where, plug it all in
10 - ???
11 - Profit!

And I have very, very little money to spend on getting the exhaust off the old bike/to buy tools etc (I can borrow most of the tools I'll need, in fairness, and Ash who I'm getting the engine off is giving me a clutch holder, for which I am eternally grateful), so I guess it's just a case of being patient.

I'll have money to buy tools/blowtorch/whatever come student loan time, but at that point the season will be drawing to a close, so I'd have to keep hold of the old bike for another year before I could sell it for a decentish price.

I am equipped with a haynes manual which should help me out a lot with figuring everything out.

edit - sorry, wrote that in response to dizzyblonde, also as an evaluation of the situation so far.
Old 07-08-08, 08:53 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

So get this straight, you've got a new engine without "stuff" on it?
Old 07-08-08, 08:54 PM   #9
chakraist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Whoa no don't do that. Will break head and bend the pipework.

If it's that bad use a lump of wood and a big hammer, marks the downpipe but who cares.

Grind the nuts through to break the tension, then tap them round with a punch. Do not try to get the studs out if you're taking the engine out, mich easier to get them pointing upwards then pull them.
I won't resort to the hammer then, in that case. I'm glad I shouldn't need to get the studs out just yet, this is good news. I'd much rather do it with the engine out like you say.

What do you mean by grind the nuts through? File them down? Cheers
Old 07-08-08, 08:57 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yes mate file them down if you don't have a dremel or a proper die-grinder. Start filing on one corner and carry on untill you've created a flat right down to the threads. You may be there a while.