SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-11-20, 10:03 AM   #8731
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

From 23.4.09:
Lost one of mine a couple of months ago.
Blank from stealer cost about £12 & cutting locally another £5.
Away I go to refuel. Doesn't fit tank cap! But fits other 2. Not much good for covering many miles.
* If you have the key number *
Rang Lincoln Security yesterday about this time & gave them key number ( written in handbook by previous owner ) & 2 keys arrived this morning for the princely sum of £6.46
Their number : 01522 532038
If you haven't the key number, they can copy yours.

Hope they're still in business!
Old 23-11-20, 02:48 PM   #8732
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quoteline Direct decided to try and change my van insurance policy that I took out a few weeks ago to a business policy and take an extra payment to cover the extra that would cost. Only, they didn't tell me or get in touch. First I knew was HSBC sending me notices of possible fraud on my account. HSBC blocked the payment and then Quoteline direct sent me a message that my policy was cancelled with no refund of the amount I paid a few weeks back. I phoned them and asked what was going on.
Spent ages waiting on hold listening to terrible distorted music and eventually got through to someone that explained that they had decided that as it's a van it must be a business vehicle. When I told them it's not I then had to answer loads of questions and justify why I have a van and not a car. Very bizarre. They kept saying, but you could just have a car if it's personal use. Why have you got a van?

I told them when I took the poilcy out that it's for personal use. They just decided to change it without consulting me and I think if HSBC hadn't flagged the payment they'd have tried to take then I'd have not even noticed it happening. I've got a feeling it's their standard practice and they must get away with doing it to a lot of people who never notice.

Absolutely livid and explained to the customer dis-services on the phone that I'm glad HSBC fraud spotted it as that's essentially what it is.

No apology and nothing changed since I took the policy out originally. Just a big waste of an hour of my day and a lot of stress. I'll be avoiding them in future.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 02:52 PM   #8733
admin
John T
Mega Poster

That's very poor practice.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 23-11-20, 02:56 PM   #8734
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
That's very poor practice.

I'd say it's bordering on criminal. Just tryng to take money from my account without asking as they've changed their mind about information I gave them without even consulting me.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 03:01 PM   #8735
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Is quite common around here for young lads to get a van as a first car as its a lot cheaper to insure than the equivalent car. They're good to camp in too, my son has an estate for the same reason.

So have you had to go elsewhere for cover?

Old 23-11-20, 03:21 PM   #8736
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I'd say it's bordering on criminal. Just tryng to take money from my account without asking as they've changed their mind about information I gave them without even consulting me.
That is disgraceful . So how did it finish up, is the van insured for private use ?
Must remember to avoid that insurance company.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 03:32 PM   #8737
Bri w

When we bought our house here in Spain, almost 5 years ago, we got the solicitor from hell. Not living here at the time he was given Power of Attorney to set up everything from bank accounts to utilities and council taxes - note, taxes. And then there was the things like Stamp Duty and Energy Certificate.

What should have taken 4 weeks max took 23 MONTHS!!! However, we signed a pre-purchase contract, which we were told was quite common out here. It gave us a legal cut off 3 months after we said yes to the house but he wouldn't enforce it, coming up with stories of lost reservation fees and deposit.

But not understanding the Spanish system etc we persevered with him... sort of. As we reached the beginning of the 23rd month of hell I gave him and the estate agent 2 weeks to sort it or I give the whole sordid affair to the Spanish Police. Done within the 14 days I gave him to complete.

Fast forward to now. We're selling and moving to something bigger, more central to where our friends and social life is. Needless to say we've gone for a different solicitor. To say the original paperwork is a bit of a mess is a mild understatement but we've managed to get everything off the original solicitor apart from the Energy Certificate - no great problem as it will cost €180 to replace the missing one.

However, in with the paperwork is an official document that shows the Stamp Duty we paid. We paid €6,900 to the solicitor, amongst other sums, specifically to cover the Stamp Duty. The document that he has been very reluctant to hand over till 2 weeks ago shows he paid €2,400 in Stamp Duty. According to our new solicitor he has pocketed €4,500 he should have paid to the tax man.

We move next week. The day after we move our current solicitor has been instructed to contact the Police. Sadly, the €4,000 doesn't come to us, and the fact it hasn't been paid is our responsibility. But, thankfully, not our fault.

Not looking forward to all the 'flak' this will cause.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 04:32 PM   #8738
Bibio
Mega Poster

not good Bri and i hope it all works out.

many years ago i was told that it was a frigging nightmare buying any property in Spain as the procedure is stupid silly and you never actually own the property in such that the Spanish Gov can grant builders the right to demolish your house to build new ones and your left out of pocket. dont know if that was true though.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 04:52 PM   #8739
Bri w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
not good Bri and i hope it all works out.

many years ago i was told that it was a frigging nightmare buying any property in Spain as the procedure is stupid silly and you never actually own the property in such that the Spanish Gov can grant builders the right to demolish your house to build new ones and your left out of pocket. dont know if that was true though.
Buying is supposed to be quite easy. Once a reservation fee is paid, usually €3000, the estate agent takes it off the market. They then have 10 days to pay the deposit. Both of which are non-refundable. Then the seller sets a completion date, max, 6 weeks away.

During the 6 week period the seller must provide copies of all utility and council taxes paid up to date - those bills stay with the house. If we moved without paying up, and the buyer was foolish enough to buy without checking, all the bills become the new owner's problem. Same applies to the mortgage and any bank loans tied to the property.

Get a good solicitor and its painless, and safe.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 10:12 PM   #8740
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Quoteline Direct decided to try and change my van insurance policy that I took out a few weeks ago to a business policy and take an extra payment to cover the extra that would cost. Only, they didn't tell me or get in touch. First I knew was HSBC sending me notices of possible fraud on my account. HSBC blocked the payment and then Quoteline direct sent me a message that my policy was cancelled with no refund of the amount I paid a few weeks back. I phoned them and asked what was going on.
Spent ages waiting on hold listening to terrible distorted music and eventually got through to someone that explained that they had decided that as it's a van it must be a business vehicle. When I told them it's not I then had to answer loads of questions and justify why I have a van and not a car. Very bizarre. They kept saying, but you could just have a car if it's personal use. Why have you got a van?

I told them when I took the poilcy out that it's for personal use. They just decided to change it without consulting me and I think if HSBC hadn't flagged the payment they'd have tried to take then I'd have not even noticed it happening. I've got a feeling it's their standard practice and they must get away with doing it to a lot of people who never notice.

Absolutely livid and explained to the customer dis-services on the phone that I'm glad HSBC fraud spotted it as that's essentially what it is.

No apology and nothing changed since I took the policy out originally. Just a big waste of an hour of my day and a lot of stress. I'll be avoiding them in future.

I think you need to name and shame the barstewards so that we know who to avoid.....
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote