SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-08-17, 12:09 PM   #71
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: GSXR front end finished

if the bearings are fine on the SV you dont need to put new bearings in. the pointy is a straight swap, the curvy needs a special top bearing.

regarding tightening the stem lock nuts, you only need to use the first specified torque setting if putting new bearings in, if using old bearings you tighten the lock nut down till you feel resistance then back off 1/4 turn (a bit like adjusting the clutch mech push rod). install washer then tighten the top lock nut to torque without moving the bottom one. you then check free movement/play and adjust as necessary.

if you dont have a torque wrench then just tighten the top lock nut but dont go mad. i would strongly recommend that you buy the proper lock nut socket.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 01:27 PM   #72
Mega Poster

Default Re: GSXR front end finished

I've got the castle nut

I definitely needed new bearings on mine. The SV races had pitting (as most will I guess - given the youngest of these bikes is, what...ten years old?) so on went some tapered bearings. Torquing and setting up as per the manual (for either the SV or the GSXR) revealed front end weave below 30mph. Backing it off completely until the stem started dropping, then holding in place by hand and tightening to finger tight got rid of that, while retaining the right feel with side to side movement of the bars.