SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-03-07, 06:50 PM   #1
svdaz

Default aftermarket exhaust cans (fueling issue)

Has anyone had any problems with the fueling mixture using an aftermarket exhaust can on a fuel injection sv ?? As mine has a slight idle problem from cold start (which isnt corrected by adjusting the idle screw) bascially once the auto choke has switched off and you ref the engine the refs drop to around 1k an feels like the bike is going to die but once the bike is at running temp it doesnt do this !! just wondering if the end can could be causing this (the baffle is in and it is a fuel exhaust).
Old 14-03-07, 10:10 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: aftermarket exhaust cans

ive never had a prob with fueling with a race can.
Old 15-03-07, 07:45 AM   #3
skint

Depends on the can bought. Most say no need to retune.

Had a Triumph race can on when bought, had to retune to original before fitting Scorpion - no need to retune again - works great.

Scorpion on Bandit 600 no need to retune - no probs

Carbon Can Co on SV650S K5 again no problem.

Years ago had a Renegade on Carbed FZR 600 - pain in the ar$e!
Old 15-03-07, 08:47 AM   #4
scorpion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphumphumph View Post
Depends on the can bought. Most say no need to retune.

Had a Triumph race can on when bought, had to retune to original before fitting Scorpion - no need to retune again - works great.

Scorpion on Bandit 600 no need to retune - no probs

Carbon Can Co on SV650S K5 again no problem.

Years ago had a Renegade on Carbed FZR 600 - pain in the ar$e!
Same here, scorpion on sv650 k5 no need to retune. I'd take it to the dealer and have a moan. If its a slip on it shouldn't cause idleing probs. All that aside, take the baffle out - it sounds better
Old 16-03-07, 01:10 AM   #5
independentphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdaz View Post
Has anyone had any problems with the fueling mixture using an aftermarket exhaust can on a fuel injection sv ?? As mine has a slight idle problem from cold start (which isnt corrected by adjusting the idle screw) bascially once the auto choke has switched off and you ref the engine the refs drop to around 1k an feels like the bike is going to die but once the bike is at running temp it doesnt do this !! just wondering if the end can could be causing this (the baffle is in and it is a fuel exhaust).
Are you sure that the idle adjustment screw is doing what you want i.e. it's not just twisting up the flexi drive cable and is making an adjustment? The get sticky.

I have a Fuel can on my pointy and the baffle is a bit of a part timer - sometimes it comes to work, sometimes it takes a holiday. No problems to date.

Good luck & Cheers,

Garry
Old 16-03-07, 07:59 AM   #6
svdaz

yeah the idle works! what happens is on cold start the idle is low and can go down to 1k but when it warms up its ok and idles at 1.5k.But if i adjust the idle so its at 1.4k at cold start once its warmed up it goes up to 1.9 2 k cant seem to get a sweet spot on it
Old 16-03-07, 08:16 AM   #7
skint

Default Re: aftermarket exhaust cans (fueling issue)

Try putting the original can back on and see if that rectifies the prob - if it does then the after mkt job is iffy. If not perservere with original can til problem solved then put your fancy kit back on.
Old 16-03-07, 09:21 AM   #8
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdaz View Post
yeah the idle works! what happens is on cold start the idle is low and can go down to 1k but when it warms up its ok and idles at 1.5k.But if i adjust the idle so its at 1.4k at cold start once its warmed up it goes up to 1.9 2 k cant seem to get a sweet spot on it
There be a logic in your error

The cold start idle speed is controlled by the ECU, not the idle screw. The idle screw just deals with warm running speed.

Lately mine has been a funny begger (K6). Now & again, I'll start her up, and she'll cough & die within the first few seconds. Restart & she's fine. But then, she's coming up fast on another service. This started happening with the stock can, and hasn't been made worse by my Fuel can. If it's still happening after the service, then I'll start investigating.
Old 24-03-07, 10:39 AM   #9
svdaz

Default Re: aftermarket exhaust cans (fueling issue)

bikes in the garage today see if they can diagnose the problem as shes still on waranty fingers crossed it some thing simple got to borrow a lovely yellow curly as a loan bike tho