SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-02-10, 09:58 PM   #1
allantheboss

Default Datatool alarm

Basically, my bike normally cant go 1 night, let alone more without failing to start the next day. I'm sure it's the battery being drained, by SOMETHING, and some knowledgeable people told me it's the alarm (or even dormant hotgrips).

I have a Datatool, System 4 (I'm quite sure). Does anybody else have this alarm or similar, and are experiencing similar problems?
Old 10-02-10, 10:07 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Datatool alarm

In my experience I found that the Alarm drains the battery over a long period of time. Certainly you should be able to leave your bike overnight and be able to start it the next day. No alarm I have come across flattens the battery at the rate you are describing.

Now hotgrips on the other hand, yep they have flattened a battery completely on Liz's SV when left on overnight, ( yes I know we should have taken a switched feed from somewhere )

IIRC wasnt it your bike that you were having starting trouble with a while ago. Did you ever check that your charging circuit was doing its job properly ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 10:08 PM   #3
simesb

Try a multimeter to see what current it being drawn with the iginition off. I had the same kind of problem, but it was the battery failing in the low temps - just wouldn't hold charge. New battery and no more probs.
Old 10-02-10, 10:33 PM   #4
cbay
Mega Poster

Alarms always drain your battery!
cbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 10:35 PM   #5
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbay View Post
Alarms always drain your battery!
But if the battery is in good condition, it won't make any difference over a week or two.
Old 10-02-10, 10:35 PM   #6
allantheboss

My hotgrips flattened the battery in about 10 minutes when I left them on, straight after riding today. Sound like I have a dead battery?

Yeah, It was mine having trouble before. Squirrell_hunter came around and it worked perfectly (sods law), but charging the battery always solves it. New reg/rec and stuff too..

I'm going to check that the front spark plug isn't damp, it's next on list of things to do, and I will put in a different battery, but I bought a new one and filled it myself and still had problems.

I will also add the multimeter test to list to do. I think it's the cold weather too (I hope). I had the bike in September whilst it was still nice and warm, but I had a faulty reg-rec so still had problems, and hence cannot compare!

Thanks you guys
Old 10-02-10, 10:38 PM   #7
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

you need to do a leak test with bike off and start pulling fuses till the leak goes then start looking around that path
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 10:40 PM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by allantheboss View Post
I will also add the multimeter test to list to do.
I'd be inclined to do that next. You've either got a knackered battery or your bikes not putting any charge into it.

Old 10-02-10, 10:47 PM   #9
cbay
Mega Poster

Yeah but any alarm will eventually drain your bike if not using frequently.

Maybe your bike isnt charging your battery when riding.
cbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 10:49 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbay View Post
Yeah but any alarm will eventually drain your bike if not using frequently.
Yes it will, but not over night like the OP says in the first post in this thread. ( unless of course the battery if f8cked or the bike isnt putting any charge into it )