SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-06-20, 03:39 PM   #31
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: White lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Love it when RH wades in.

Pop quiz on ped. (the bad kind not the worst kind) crossings...you can filter the queue up until the vehicle closest to the crossing? A lot of people say you can't do it at all but I've always understood it to be the above in basic terms.

Cheers Dave, I try not to sound like a know it all but it would be a shame to let all the rubbish the public spent a fortune teaching me over the years go completely to waste now I've been put out to pasture....

Yes about right on crossings, it's the one closest to the crossing within the zig zags on the approach that's important. If it's moving, or stationery for the purpose of giving way to a pedestrian, then you must let them go over the line of studs first. The bit about being stationery for the purpose of giving way to a pedestrian gets forgotten by lots, so if it's in a traffic jam and only not moving because the car in front is in the way then technically you can filter on past. Obviously common sense should prevail and you need to make sure you can see if someone might walk out cos pedestrians tend not to look to well if they think everything is stopped, so don't go flying up the outside on the back wheel......
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 08:44 PM   #32
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Cheers Dave, I try not to sound like a know it all but it would be a shame to let all the rubbish the public spent a fortune teaching me over the years go completely to waste now I've been put out to pasture....

Yes about right on crossings, it's the one closest to the crossing within the zig zags on the approach that's important. If it's moving, or stationery for the purpose of giving way to a pedestrian, then you must let them go over the line of studs first. The bit about being stationery for the purpose of giving way to a pedestrian gets forgotten by lots, so if it's in a traffic jam and only not moving because the car in front is in the way then technically you can filter on past. Obviously common sense should prevail and you need to make sure you can see if someone might walk out cos pedestrians tend not to look to well if they think everything is stopped, so don't go flying up the outside on the back wheel......
See that is forgotten . I’d not had that interpretation in my head, was just that cautious of them I’d tuck in last car behind the zigzags on all occasions. This is why I like these discussions even if I sound like a dork- it’s good to learn and glean bits and bats
Old 06-06-20, 09:42 PM   #33
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I can only imagine that our esteemed biker friend is overtaking three cyclists and has neither brakes nor eyes equipped.

As has been said above... but it did make me think of something I've been meaning to look up recently. There's a trade off on risk, re. space available etc etc, but when filtering for example standstill traffic I was of the opinion you could overtake in the same lane if safe to do so (even on solid white as long as you don't cross it).
In trying to google the wording I found this video ...which should definitely be discouraged and makes me want to find wording that clarifies exactly what is allowed even more!
YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I8mGtgd0Y0

Have a good cringe.
Side note, f00k knows what the rider was doing, I cna only imagine he took that line because the car was already doing it...or perhaps he cut up the car and there was never any gap there at all? Though it sort of looks clear from his shoulder check , maybe that's why he only indicated for a split second.
wow just watched that.. what most riding schools dont teach is command of the road nor do many people know how to do it properly. give another motorist an inch and they will take a mile.

tbh for a car to overtake like that the bike must have been ridden by a granny on smack..

a biker is not always in the right.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 12:23 PM   #34
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
tbh for a car to overtake like that the bike must have been ridden by a granny on smack..
It looked like they were doing about 62mph, so I can understand the frustration of the driver, but that overtake was criminal.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 06:38 PM   #35
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

There is something odd going on. The car appears in the mirror within 1 second of crossing into lane 2. Could be they were in lane 1 as well at the beginning of the manoeuvre.

Doesn't justify squeezing past like that though.

Ste
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote