SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-07-20, 09:26 PM   #1791
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Ok. So today's lesson is never copy an idiot, or it makes you an idiot.
I'm an idiot.

I'm sure it's not a good idea to admit to this. Go easy on me.

You know that bit where they tell you to make sure you pay attention to which way the fork seals are around when they come out and put the new ones back in the same way? Well, don't if the person who fitted them before you fitted them the wrong way around. I thought I was second guessing myself when I fitted them, but got confused by the upside down forks (I've only done the right way up ones before.. I know they're the same really, but...). Anyway, I went against my instinct to have the seal numbers facing the outside and just put them in how the others came out. I now know that the ones previously fitted* were definitely fitted the wrong way around, probably the reason there was no oil in the forks and the front pads were useless when I got the bike (they'd been oiled by the leaking forks).

* The more I look over this bike the more I see things that the previous owner must have done himself without having much of a clue. Copper grease on loads of plastic parts (?!) is a bit of a sign of an over keen home mechanic. The air box was smeared in it too, even though the air filter was the original, never changed and letting almost no air to the engine.

You'd think the dealer might have spotted these things when they did the "service" that they include before a sold bike goes out. Hmmm.

Anyway, fork seals are now fitted the right way around. Dropped the front by 4mm too to make up for the 4mm longer spring and the bike feels great. I can now get on with the other mods I have lined up.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 01-07-20 at 09:27 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 09:32 PM   #1792
admin
John T
Mega Poster

That's good. I'm glad you got to the bottom of it. Just goes to show how well some dealers prep their secondhand machines. I'd send them an invoice for your work.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-20, 11:40 AM   #1793
shiftin_gear98

Adam, I'm glad you fixed it.
Sounds about the same level of service my new to me Qashqai got last year from Glyn Hopkins when I picked it up. None of the things we had discussed had been done.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's just the norm now. No one gives a **** apart from the buyer.
Old 02-07-20, 04:34 PM   #1794
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

The Dorso has thrown up another code today, so it looks like the throttle demand sensor might need replaced. Which are not cheap!

I need to get it to a dealer to have a proper look at it and confirm what the problem is. Don't really have the cash for that right now so
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 03:18 PM   #1795
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Adam, I'm glad you fixed it.
Sounds about the same level of service my new to me Qashqai got last year from Glyn Hopkins when I picked it up. None of the things we had discussed had been done.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's just the norm now. No one gives a **** apart from the buyer.
Dealers have found it is cheaper not to do any work on vehicle except clean it and then deal with any problems that a small percentage of buyers may complains about afterwards .. lets face it most people have not got a clue about how cars work these days - and are happy as long as it is clean.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 10-07-20 at 03:32 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 03:32 PM   #1796
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Changed the engine oil and filter on AL7 today - thought I would put it up on ABBA stand to do it as more clearance underneath for oil tray and bike would be level to refill it - checked level on window before draining and measured the oil that came out and a bit puzzled that including emptying the filter into measuring jug only 2500ml came out, decided to let bike down off ABBA onto side stand and see if any more came out, yup out came the missing 250ml. Put the bike back up on ABBA to refill and 2750ml took it right up to just under top line on oil level window....

£29 for 4 litres Castrol Power Racing 4T fully synth 10W40 ( cheaper than buying 3 x 1 litre ) and £8 for Hi-Q OF138 filter with free next day delivery from sportsbike shop - result....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 10-07-20, 07:39 PM   #1797
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Dealers have found it is cheaper not to do any work on vehicle except clean it and then deal with any problems that a small percentage of buyers may complains about afterwards .. lets face it most people have not got a clue about how cars work these days - and are happy as long as it is clean.

But I had to leave it with them for a week and come back a 200 mile round trip to get it so that they could give it a full service (stamped in the book) and MOT it... all in house. Are you suggesting that they didn't service it at all? The air filter full of 7 years of crud choking the engine would back up your suggestion!
Old 10-07-20, 08:01 PM   #1798
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I have purchased second hand cars from main dealers, normally about 3 years old, and seen oil filters rusty on outside and black air and cabin filters, and the cars had 'full service history ' from that dealer. I think dealer went through service book and stamped spaces after it was traded in, and having a dealer MOT a vehicle before delivery is like letting school kids mark their own homework and exams...

Old 10-07-20, 08:16 PM   #1799
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default What have you tinkered with today?

I’ve spoken to dealers who have told me that nobody would pay for the service that’s demanded in the book and they’ll just go to the bloke that quotes for a fluid swap and calls it a service.

The result of that thinking is that everyone just does a fluid swap and calls it a service and nobody ever gets offered a full service.

If you give customers the benefit of the doubt some of them will actually pay you for a good job. But no-one gives us the option.

Not just motor trade. Happens all over. Everyone’s competing at the lowest price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 09:35 PM   #1800
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I always budget for my own oil and filter and air filter when I buy a bike, even if the history says it's been done. Often a coolant change and flush brake fluid through if it's easy enough too. That and a good general check over of the major fixings, bolts etc.