SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-06-20, 10:33 AM   #1
gadget

Default Curvy charging issue ... maybe?

Hi all, I was hoping to glean some info on a possible charging problem.
I've just completed a 300miles ride fromDove to Norfolk and back, when setting from Norfolk the starter only just started the motor and when stopping for fuel the same thing happened, it's always started first time every time for the short journeys I've being doing up till today, It kind of makes me feel the charging system is at fault? Would I be correct in assuming this?
I'm not great with leccy stuff tbh and don't have any test equipment, so a bit stuck tbh.
Is there any other points I should / can check before I get it tested? Ie .. reg/rev etc.
Thanks for any help with this.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-20, 11:27 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy charging issue ... maybe?

Without a meter there's not much you can check, it's worthwhile getting one. You can check for bad connections between the stator and the reg/rec and between the reg/rec and the battery and ensure the battery terminals are tight.
How old is your battery? If you ran 300 miles, say 5 or 6 hours, I'd guess it's more likely a battery problem than a charging problem. If your battery is new and was conditioned properly, I'll change my guess

You need a meter or a friend with one.
Old 23-06-20, 12:32 PM   #3
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Hi all, I was hoping to glean some info on a possible charging problem.
I've just completed a 300miles ride fromDove to Norfolk and back, when setting from Norfolk the starter only just started the motor and when stopping for fuel the same thing happened, it's always started first time every time for the short journeys I've being doing up till today, It kind of makes me feel the charging system is at fault? Would I be correct in assuming this?
I'm not great with leccy stuff tbh and don't have any test equipment, so a bit stuck tbh.
Is there any other points I should / can check before I get it tested? Ie .. reg/rev etc.
Thanks for any help with this.
As per other post/s you need a digital multi-meter. They are not that hard to use and you will get all the help you need to use it on here

Screwfix do a cheap one that will do the job,

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-mas83...ter-600v/75337

Or if you can't get there and these have a,"Continuity Buzzer" which is really useful for finding ground problems,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-L...EAAOSwS1JdpgiH
Old 23-06-20, 12:53 PM   #4
daktulos

I'll probably be shot down for this, but for a quick test, stop the engine with the headlight on. If the headlight dims when you stop then it's likely to be the battery or the wiring to the starter. If it stays the same, or gets brighter, it's going to be the reg/rec/stator or the wiring to them.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-20, 12:59 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Or just see if it pulses when you rev.

But really you need a multimeter. It could be a dodgy battery or a reg/rec or something else.
Old 23-06-20, 01:23 PM   #6
gadget

Thanks all for you input, not sure how old the battery is as the bike is fairly new to me.
It's pretty much always on a tender so never had a problem until I put the miles on it.
I was intending to do the reg/rec mod at some point anyway due to it being a known issue, is there a (plug 'n' play) reg/rec I can use or do I have to cut and splice into original wiring? (Would rather not cut into wiring tbh).
Only thing I've noticed about the battery is ... it's about an inch too tall ! So the tray on top doesn't fit as it should. Previous owner said that's all he could get at the time! So maybe thats part of the problem ... might be a duff battery. Having said that ... it charges ok and seems to hold charge for several weeks even with the alarm on all the time.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-20, 01:26 PM   #7
daktulos

Quote:
Is there a (plug 'n' play) reg/rec I can use or do I have to cut and splice into original wiring? (Would rather not cut into wiring tbh).
This is the one I bought, fixed my problems straight away (it was charging when idling, but voltage dropped with more revs) - but be aware there are apparently two versions, so check the plugs are right first.

https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR85.html
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-20, 01:26 PM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Thanks all for you input, not sure how old the battery is as the bike is fairly new to me.
It's pretty much always on a tender so never had a problem until I put the miles on it.
I was intending to do the reg/rec mod at some point anyway due to it being a known issue, is there a (plug 'n' play) reg/rec I can use or do I have to cut and splice into original wiring? (Would rather not cut into wiring tbh).
Only thing I've noticed about the battery is ... it's about an inch too tall ! So the tray on top doesn't fit as it should. Previous owner said that's all he could get at the time! So maybe thats part of the problem ... might be a duff battery. Having said that ... it charges ok and seems to hold charge for several weeks even with the alarm on all the time.
First get the Multi-meter. You need to track down things before buying anything else. I use the cheap one from eBay and it does the job fine
Old 23-06-20, 02:20 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I paid about threeŁ for a multimeter off ebay. I think they are 99p now but you have to buy your own battery. Get one(or two) and test the basic numbers.
Old 23-06-20, 05:38 PM   #10
redtrummy

Stick a MM across the battery on volts scale max 20v Ful scale deflection -note voltage. Start bike, rev engine, if voltage increases then its charging and thats good. Switch off engine, set MM to amps on a low scale (2 amp full scale deflection) and connect it in series with the battery - with every thing off there should be no discharge shown on non ECU bikes with no alarm . On ECU bikes possibly a small discharge, and with an alarm a few milli amps more. Since you said that short journeys not a problem then the last scenarios probably do not apply.
Re the larger battery - as long as the terminals are not being shorted out by the bottom of the seat then not a problem. If not sure stick a bit of thick plastic over the battery. (piece off a milk container)
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote