SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-06-20, 03:00 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Our tax money at work

Cost? about £1 million for the repainted scheme, it was grey. Madness (imho)
Old 26-06-20, 03:41 PM   #2
Grant66

Default Re: Our tax money at work

Not sure where they get those figures.

Normal cost for a repaint is €200-300k, depending on complexity.
That includes materials and Toulouse labour costs. Normal repainting removes the old paint as it increases weight.

Perhaps they are including the refurbishment cost of ZZ336 which was due a major. It would have been repainted after this service anyway.

So they are suggesting it's cost £900k more to have it this colour as opposed to it's usually grey? Or is the headline misleading?

Whether this is the best colour scheme for a military tanker is debatable.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-20, 04:16 PM   #3
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Why does it look very American to me even though that's the British flag?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-20, 04:21 PM   #4
Kenzie

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/26/union...lane-12905817/
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-20, 04:43 PM   #5
Grant66

If it was the right way up on both sides then the design at the front of the fin wouldn't line up.

Poor design to have that issue.

Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-20, 05:56 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

do you honestly expect the prime minister of one of the greatest country's in the world if not the greatest to fly in some scabby old plane to foreign dignitaries. if you do then fuk off to some backwater country and moan there....... remember its not just for bojo to fly in just like yankers airforce one that shuttles trumpity around. it will serve many prime minister's over the years. bargain if you ask me.

what i do object to is the ludicrous price HS2 filling the pockets of schoolboy wank mates.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-20, 10:05 PM   #7
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I've just googled the old jobby, it didn't look rundown just drab. I bet he just didn't like the colour, or needed an excuse to give one of his mates a few quid. Bit more cash we don't have ****ed away IMO (unless whoever he paid is going to give the country a spiffing deal on something useful).

What I'm more interested in is the dirt bikes he's just bought. Can't see what they are , but I'm far more supportive of that (as long as they were under £10k!)
Old 27-06-20, 08:33 AM   #8
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
what i do object to is the ludicrous price HS2 filling the pockets of schoolboy wank mates.
Amen. I live 4 miles from Macclesfield station, which is on the West Coast mainline. It's currently 1h40m to Euston. Getting there 15 minutes earlier offers no real benefit at all.

What WOULD offer a real benefit is free high-speed Wi-Fi on the train, which could be provisioned for a few million quid. Then no-one would care about getting from A to B 15 minutes faster. That could have saved over 50 billion.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-20, 11:21 PM   #9
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Amen. I live 4 miles from Macclesfield station, which is on the West Coast mainline. It's currently 1h40m to Euston. Getting there 15 minutes earlier offers no real benefit at all.

What WOULD offer a real benefit is free high-speed Wi-Fi on the train, which could be provisioned for a few million quid. Then no-one would care about getting from A to B 15 minutes faster. That could have saved over 50 billion.
I agree improved internet connectivity would help but personally I'd just prefer more space (in standard class). You're relatvely well served on WCML. Pre-Covid, I travelled from Derby to both London and York regularly, about 2 hours for each journey. Travelling in standard class is not very pleasant really - trains usually very busy and no chance of two side-by-side travellers (or four at a table) working comfortably with laptops or A4-based paperwork. Even with quality wi-fi it's hard to work standing up.

And therein lies the challenge - too many passengers for the capacity of the railway. I'm still not convinced about the business case and planned solution for HS2 as it currently stands. The explananation of it generally has been shockingly bad but having done a little bit of extra research, I can see that the journey time saving is only a secondary benefit - the main benefit is adding capacity to the whole network (by giving demand for existing routes somewhere else to go).

Last edited by Ruffy; 28-06-20 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Clarification added
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-20, 08:22 PM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
Not sure where they get those figures.

Normal cost for a repaint is €200-300k, depending on complexity.
That includes materials and Toulouse labour costs. Normal repainting removes the old paint as it increases weight.

Perhaps they are including the refurbishment cost of ZZ336 which was due a major. It would have been repainted after this service anyway.

So they are suggesting it's cost £900k more to have it this colour as opposed to it's usually grey? Or is the headline misleading?

Whether this is the best colour scheme for a military tanker is debatable.

It suits the left biased media to say the cost was just a paint job, never let the facts get in the way of an opportunity for Boris bashing. Corbyn as PM would have left the plane drab except for the hammer and sickle on the tail, and maybe an IS logo.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote