SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-03-06, 01:39 PM   #1
Dreadhead

Default what tuning should i do first?

I'm wanting to upgrade my peformance on my 2001 sv650 in the near future but i dont know what would be the best thing to do first on it.
i was thinking about a yoshi full race system jetted up and K&N filter on but would this be the ideal thing for the first tuning process or can anyone think of something that will be as equall as good or even better for a cheaper and more descret tuning upgrade.

Any views
Thanks,
KeNNy
Old 02-03-06, 03:21 PM   #2
Fuzz

Have you thought about the timing advance mod? Much cheaper (£30 fitted, £18 if you know someone with a rotor puller) and you wouldn't necessarily need to inform your insurance company. I haven't done it yet, but those on here who have recommend it.

Someone else I have to remember posts on here aswell as BCF
Old 02-03-06, 05:27 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

If you buy new, and have it set up by a pro, breathing mods are horrendously expensive for the return you get on the SV... Talking £100 per horsepower, realistically. Though there are other benefits. Don't use a K&N, get a BMC Race RS (unless you live somwhere dusty)- very little benefit to be gained from a K&N on a curvy SV. I did it seriously on the cheap- used exhaust, Ebay jet kit, Race RS filter and individual jets from PDQ to cover the inadequacy of the Stage 1&3 DJ kit- cost me about £300 all in, and I've done the work myself. But that's a fair bit of hassle and ultimately, you don't know it's right without a dyno run.

If you do go down that route, it's worth checking out JHS Racing's Stage 2 dyno kit, expensive but I'd say worth it for the savings you'll make in labour (yours or someone elses). Includes the hard-to-find Race RS filter, and a jet kit modified to work perfectly with it. I'm no fan of the shop but the kit's a good buy. Alternatively, the Factory Pro Stage 2 kit is much the same deal.

I'd say cams are a far, far better buy than a full system. More invasive, for the inexperiencd mechanic, but not terribly hard to do- but you get similiar results for a fraction of the price, and no set-up work either. I fitted K3> intake cams, and moved my old intake cas to the exhaust side- very nice mod, and £200 all in. (or you could have my spare carbed model intake cams for £50, not as good a mod, but cheaper.

Gearing's a good place to start too- a typical standard SVS won't top out in top gear, so there's nothing to be lost by lowering the gearing for better acceleration. I went up one tooth on the rear sprocket last time, I'll go up another next time.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 05:39 PM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Failing that sell the bike and buy somehting faster in the 1st place
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 05:45 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

10 points Viney.
Old 02-03-06, 06:06 PM   #6
Dreadhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
But why would i do that as i'll just tune that the same as i have done with every vehicle i have owned even if it was a r1,z-x10r,cbr 1000rr or what ever they still get tune to the ******** as thats the whole fun about owing a bike "modding".
Old 02-03-06, 06:51 PM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
But why would i do that as i'll just tune that the same as i have done with every vehicle i have owned even if it was a r1,z-x10r,cbr 1000rr or what ever they still get tune to the ******** as thats the whole fun about owing a bike "modding".
I agree, but there are better bikes out there that are more receptive to tuning.

Like northy, i have spent money trying to go the zorst and filter route etc, and its a lot of money for not a lot of gain. I have always liked the cam idea, but never done it.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 06:57 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I reckon it would go much faster if you put a decent shock and set of forks on it.
Old 02-03-06, 07:08 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

I agree with that too Plus there's real cheap benefits there.
Old 02-03-06, 11:12 PM   #10
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

A few track days/race schools/tuition of some sort.

Serious, and whilst not making any criticism of anyone, we could all do with a bit more talent/experience/clue etc etc.

There's more to come from every bike, even box standard SVs, we just need to find it.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote