SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-10-10, 12:20 PM   #1
I'm_a_Newbie

Question Does Anyone Make These?

I tend to ride with my visor slightly open, even more so in cold weather. The only problem is when it rains water gets on the inside of the visor. I have just ordered a Foggy mask for this year, in case anybody suggest this so I don't need the visor open.

Anyway, for some time I have been thinking, if the visor was fitted with a soft rubber seal along the top edge that has 1cm deep membrane angled towards the outer shell of the helmet this would stop rain running down the inside while you are stationary and stop it being blown in while riding along.

Has anybody ever seen anything like this or know where you can buy something along these lines?

Tim

Last edited by I'm_a_Newbie; 27-10-10 at 12:29 PM.
Old 27-10-10, 12:28 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Does Anyone Make These?

The answer is to ride with it shut,and fit a pinlock system.By all means use a mask which covers your mouth and nose if that helps,but double glazing on the visor is the only effective way.
Old 27-10-10, 12:30 PM   #3
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Yeah, pin lock, stops the fog so you can ride with the visor shut.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-10, 12:34 PM   #4
I'm_a_Newbie

I have an Arai that came with the pinlock insert and I hated it. It cut down visability at night and caused abberation of the light from oncoming vehicles at night as well so I could not see where I was going.

So not an option for me, thanks' anyway.
Old 27-10-10, 02:58 PM   #5
Woz

I don't know about anyone else, but as far as the foggy mask goes, all it managed to do was direct two high pressure jets of air right into my eyes. It went in the bin after one day.
Old 27-10-10, 03:39 PM   #6
TamSV
Mega Poster

I always ride with my visor open a wee bit - I just prefer it.

I had a lid in the eighties that had a foam strip at the top of the visor that did exactly what your looking for. Haven't seen anything like that since.

You could make your own out of something like a bath sealing strip. Or duct tape.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-10, 03:52 PM   #7
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm_a_Newbie View Post
I have an Arai that came with the pinlock insert and I hated it. It cut down visability at night and caused abberation of the light from oncoming vehicles at night as well so I could not see where I was going.

So not an option for me, thanks' anyway.
Sounds like it was badly fitted/installed then, never had any of those problems with any of the Pinlock inserts I have used, be they clear, yellow, light tint or dark tint, on dark or clear visors, with or without Sunglasses...

Only time I ever had something approaching that was when I was installing a new insert and forgot to take the protective film it ships with off...

I prefer an open visor most of the time, so my Shoei XR1000 has a clear visor, with a clear Pinlock and I wear a pair of Oakley Flak Jacket XLS with the reactions Persimmon (yellow/orange) lenses.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-10, 04:27 PM   #8
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Sounds like it was badly fitted/installed then, never had any of those problems with any of the Pinlock inserts I have used, be they clear, yellow, light tint or dark tint, on dark or clear visors, with or without Sunglasses...

Only time I ever had something approaching that was when I was installing a new insert and forgot to take the protective film it ships with off...

I prefer an open visor most of the time, so my Shoei XR1000 has a clear visor, with a clear Pinlock and I wear a pair of Oakley Flak Jacket XLS with the reactions Persimmon (yellow/orange) lenses.
+1. you cannot tell when i have my arai on there is a pinlock fitted, its a no brainer for me tbh, it is the only effective way to combat this problem.

Are you sure they didnt leave the film on the pinlock when fitted, like they did on mine , mine looked really crap until i realised the person who fitted it hadnt removed the film.
Old 27-10-10, 04:35 PM   #9
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
+1. you cannot tell when i have my arai on there is a pinlock fitted,
Having never worn an Arai with pinlock I couldnt specifically comment on the vision obscurance (if any) but on the Shoei its all good.

Other thing for at night would be to make sure the visor and insert are clean as greasy fingerprints which may be invisible in the day, may cause streaking at night.

I find that a yellow insert, or glasses lens REALLY helps at night as it kills the glare from headlights.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-10, 04:40 PM   #10
Berlin

As a recent Pinlock convert, Buy one!

I got the universal kit delivered for £19.99 and it was fitted in minutes. and its fantastic!

C