SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-05-11, 09:07 PM   #1
slinky

Default insurance advice!

Hello!!

Sorry not been online in a while, been moving and only just got the internet! At last!

So .... the blue SV is a bit sick from being hit from behind by a 3rd party, cant say too much as still going through the insurance etc ...

As the SV was going to be a first bike to get the insurance down after a years NCB i was hoping to get daytona600 ... now that the SV is going to get wrote off i've decided that i'm going to bring the buy a bit closer, that and i have a biking holiday end of June in France.

So the question is, am i allowed to actually buy a new bike and insure whilst a claim is going through on another policy annnndddd are you able to pay the higher rate on a new policy for say 5 months then cancel, take out another and say i have 1 years NCBs.

I've emailed my current insurer but no reply and havn't found the time to ring them yet!

Did think of getting another SV on my existing policy but i ideally would like the daytona for this summer and not over winter.

ideas?
Old 27-05-11, 04:43 PM   #2
Juju

Default Re: insurance advice!

I don't understand the 4th para - Why would you want another policy when you already have one? You just want to change the bike on cover. If you cancel a policy before the end of the term, then you won't earn any ncd, as you havent been driving for the full policy year to earn it.

You buy a years cover. Your premium is based on a years cover. Subject to additional premium to reflect the new risk, from the point of the substitution, you should be fine.

I have heard some old ******** over the years about insurance being cancelled by an insurer due to the notification of a total loss, but praccticably it should't make any odds to the insurer really, and a complaint should sort them out. Sometimes insurers do daft things because its a complex product, dealt with by unqualified people with too much work and not enough training or desire to make a career out of it.

All you need to watch for is that your insurer is one which will cover the replacement reasonably cost effectively.