SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-08-05, 12:24 PM   #1
halfway

Default Luggage

I ended up putting about 300 miles on this weekend and had to wear a backpack out of necessity. The distance was fine as it was round trip and over two days but it would have been *way* more fun without the bag. I'm looking for a fairly small rear seatbag, considering something like this:

http://www.rka-luggage.com/pages/10r...s16/xrs16.html

Just big enough to hold the laptop, rain gear, and a change of clothes or two.
Any suggestions?
Old 09-08-05, 12:28 PM   #2
Carsick

Have a look at the Oxford luggage.
Couldn't you have bungeed the backpack to the seat?
Old 09-08-05, 05:25 PM   #3
muddycoffee

Extremely cheap luggage..

I have a 40 litre rucksack, which I have used for holidays, when I have flown around europe. But I found that it fits on my SV650 so well that I use it when I am solo riding and I need to carry stuff with me.

Best thing is it cost only about £20 new from Decathlon (national cheap sports warehouse), and the waist strap will fasten around the locking seat, locking it to the bike securely, and the higher up straps will clip around the grabrail. It is waterproof, has loads of pockets and secret pockets, and is expandable so you can keep it tight if there is not much in. It lays across the pillion seat and the main top catch keeps the back of the bag away from the rear light. It is so good that It looks custom made for the SV.
Of course, a ruck sack, you can take it off and walk with it if you want.

The Bag is a Quechua Diosaz 40...
Old 09-08-05, 07:30 PM   #4
alkap

Hello,
I bought a cargo net to hold the backpack at the pillions seat. At first I was also wearing it and it really did get annoying.
Then I was warried about the rain, but i think there should be simple solution avaiable for it by using some plastic bag for an example. I figured out that my backpack is on the pillions seat zippers at the rear and it seems to hold water good enough.
At least it works for me.

regs
alkap
Old 09-08-05, 07:59 PM   #5
halfway

It was a last minute trip and the weather was perfect for riding, I couldn't get the bag strapped down well enough and had to head out. I guess I'm also a little wary of bungees. I want it tight enough to stay in one place and not move on the twisties but I don't want to mark up the paint. I'll check out oxford though thanks.

The one thing I liked about the one I linked is it shrinks down to a 3" high bag if you only need a few things, don't need that bulky bag on the back seat.
Old 09-08-05, 08:24 PM   #6
muddycoffee

My rucksack doesn't go near any paint and you don't need to use Bungees either. It "stays put", even at crazy angles and motorway speeds. The only disadvantage would be that if I had a hemet in there and I was inside a shop, then someone could undo the top and get inside the bag.

I will post a picture here tommorrow.

Here's the pic

As you can see all the rucsack's straps can be used to secure it to the back of the bike without using bungees near the paint.
The strap over the SV650 decal is just the tail end of the strap.

The only thing in this bag is the rain liners for my riding gear. But I know that the bag is big enough for a whole week's clothing as well, because I used it for a week's holiday in Europe in the spring.
Old 10-08-05, 09:57 PM   #7
muddycoffee

The other disadvantage is that I cannot give a pillion with the bag on, although she could wear the rucksack on her back.