SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 17-06-07, 07:04 PM   #1
Alpinestarhero

Default Paddock Stands!

Mods, move this to somewhere better if need be.

Now, i need a paddock stand - and it has to be the one with cups, as i have a striped thread on the LHS screw thingy on the swing arm, so a peg-type one is outta the question!

Can anyone recomend one thats quite easy to use? I was gonna be dead flash and get a harris one for £65, but is it worth it?

Matt
Old 17-06-07, 07:51 PM   #2
kcowgergmm

Default Re: Paddock Stands!

i was wondering the same question i was looking at some trex stands on ebay anybody use them?
Old 18-06-07, 11:46 AM   #3
Alpinestarhero

Jdubya suggested an ABBA stand, which i forgot about and relly like the idea of.

Does anyone have one? are they good? I went on the website and it says I need a "fitting kit" - what is this, and why do I need it?

Matt
Old 18-06-07, 12:03 PM   #4
Jdubya

You would need a fitting kit irrespective...
All the fitting kit is, is the part that fits onto the swinging arm from the stand. As no two manufacturers are the same, the swinging arm bolt sizes all differ and the fitting kit makes your bike fit the stand. I'll take afew pics later and post them up here.
HTH
Old 18-06-07, 12:11 PM   #5
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubya View Post
You would need a fitting kit irrespective...
All the fitting kit is, is the part that fits onto the swinging arm from the stand. As no two manufacturers are the same, the swinging arm bolt sizes all differ and the fitting kit makes your bike fit the stand. I'll take afew pics later and post them up here.
HTH
Ah, gotcha! Cheers mate, and yea - pics would be good! Is it easy to use?

Matt
Old 18-06-07, 01:28 PM   #6
Jdubya

Okay,
This is what the fitting kit looks like and it differs from bike to bike...

And this is where the kit fits so the bike can be lifted....

I'll post the pic of the bike on the stand after I get back from the school run.

HTH
Old 18-06-07, 03:32 PM   #7
Jdubya

Not my bike, but this is how the bike sits on the stand...
Old 18-06-07, 04:09 PM   #8
rigor

I guess it all depends on what you're going to do with the stands. If it's just for chain lubing and cleaning etc. then a paddock stand will be fine. (Harris if you're feeling bling, although the Micron one is fine, as are most)

If you want to do more work on the bike (Take the front end off etc.) then and ABBA stand or NWS stand is a better investment imo. Feels sturdier when up on the stand, and you don't have to worry about the cups of the paddock stand sliding down the swingarm.

I have a Harris rear stand and an ABBA stand (I'm a TART OK, check the sig ), but I know a few people on here prefer the NWS stand because you don't need a fitting kit for every different type of bike. I've got 2 kits for my ABBA stand already, so thats £30 I would have saved with an NWS.

Horses for courses etc

The Abba stand is a piece of pi$$ to use. Locate one side in the swingarm pivot mounting point. Go round the other side of the bike and locate the other side in the swingarm hole and tighten the stand. back round to the first side, extend the handle, gently move the bike to vertical so the stand is fully on the floor and push the handle forward and up she pops. NWS looks to be just as easy (Never actually used one myself) They both are one man operations.

Last edited by rigor; 18-06-07 at 04:11 PM.
Old 18-06-07, 04:48 PM   #9
injury_ian

NWS stand is as the abba sounds, simplicity itself.

THO i do have to put a socket in the rhs hole so as to clear the brake pedal. no big deal. (basically an extension)
Old 18-06-07, 06:14 PM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Ah, cool. Thanks everyone - i think im gonna get the ABBA stand, it seems more usefull than everything else, and easy to use.

Off to check me dosh

Matt