SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-08-07, 09:56 PM   #1
catchsomesv650

Default SV650 noob question

Hi,

I'm new to riding motorcycles and I recently purchased an 01 SV650S. I'm not a particular fan of aftermarket parts and never did research on them. However, the owner who I bought the bike from had alot and no longer had the stock parts.

It includes:

520 kit
double bubble something
Yoshimura full exhaust
05 gixxer front end.

i dont know what any of these mean and was wondering if someone could shine some light on the matter.

thanks in advance
Old 02-08-07, 10:00 PM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: SV650 noob question

Gsxr front end should mean you have decent front suspension (from a GSXR bike) if set up right - a big plus.

Double bubble (type of screen) - pretty useful if you don't want your head to wobble off at speed, depending on the colour and your taste could be a plus or minus.

Yoshi exhaust (full system means the whole thing, not just the silencer on the end) - nice noise and some marginal power gains - a plus

520 kit -some chain thing, not sure if it's a plus or minus, sure someone will be along to help soon.

Hello and welcome to the site from up north.
Old 02-08-07, 10:03 PM   #3
catchsomesv650

just to tack on another noob question...
i've read everywhere about the 650's low end torque. i know that it various on a case by case basis, but around what range of RPM should I be in assuming just a flat road.

when pushing 5-6K, the engine's sound scares the bejezzies out of me

btw. thanks tim
Old 02-08-07, 10:13 PM   #4
ethariel

Thats the Yoahi full system

Crank it up higher then drop the throttle off and listen to it on the over run
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 10:13 PM   #5
Sideshow#36

If you are just cruising/town driving i find 3000-4000rpm the best all round. You are just into the power so if you need it you dont need to knock down a gear and its not too vibey or noisy. Yeah just keep on going past 6000rpm and things really get noisy! But its sooo worth it. Especially with a yosi system!
Old 02-08-07, 10:14 PM   #6
jamessunhill

The interesting point comes in at around 7'500 revs. It'll rev all the way up to 11'200 (limiter) but redline's at 10'500. You don't really need to ever go that high though. Peak power is at about 9000rpm (IIRC).

If you're new to bikes, don't try to use all the power the bike has to offer straight away though. Get used to how it handles and rides first, then start trying it out.

I guarantee you'll love the SV. I know I love mine!!

Where are you from?

Oh and welcome to the Mad House!
Old 02-08-07, 10:16 PM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

don't woory the sv is a pussycat to the novice, or a terror for the experienced. The sv bark is louder than its bite and by the sound of it with your exhaust system it will have a loud bark. 5-6000 has a pretty average noise, any higher, i feel, sounds like your revving the knackers off it. Although I only ride like that cause if i didn't i'd be deaf
Don't worry all will be revealed with time and experience, and any thing you need to find out is all laid out within this forum somewhere or another.Always someone to give you tips, help, buy parts or chat to. You are in the right place to help you feel at one with your new sv.

Welcome

p.s gxr front end? oooo nice. i want one( upside down forks i trust)

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 10:20 PM   #8
catchsomesv650

thanks for all the help, i def needed it. (i'll keep it in 4K until i get some miles under my belt)
I'm from the california. i know this is a UK based forum but :-/ its still an SV

i looked into the 520 kit, supposedly its dealing with the chain something. i dont know.
as a follow-up question, the gsxr front end helps suspension, but its a motorcycle, is suspension that big of a deal?

edit: dizzy, i have no idea which side is up or down. its gold on top and silver at the bottom. lol
me <--- noob

Last edited by catchsomesv650; 02-08-07 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-08-07, 10:23 PM   #9
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

520 refers to the size of the chain - specifically the width, the original is a 525 - the possible advantage of a narrower chain is less drag and friction.
Often times the chain used to reduce friction is unsealed, a non 'O' or 'X' ring chain, which requires more lubing and generally will have a shorter life.
For a road bike the advantage is not generally considered worthwhile.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 10:30 PM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

that'll be upside down. Every sv'ers dream to convert their originals to those...
You want to keep revs over 4000, my sv feels more comfortable at 4.5 to 5000

And it doesn't matter where in the world your from your still welcome, theres a few from over your way in here. spain and i believe new Zealand too somewhere

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote