SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-01-09, 04:02 PM   #1
richardh

Default Starting Problems

Just imported my old K3 650s to my new home in Denmark at a cost of £3000! Life just wasn't worth living without it.

But for the first time in its life it's become unpredictable when starting.

I push the starter button sometimes and I just get a loud click from under the seat and all the lights go out. dead. fiddle about under said seat and sometimes I get lucky and it starts with no problem after turning the ignition key on off.

Anyone had the same problem?

I think it's getting back for bringing it to a country that has more roadsalt than snow in winter.

Cheers Richardh
Old 11-01-09, 04:03 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Starting Problems

I'd say battery is weak. Get an optimate trickle charger and charge it - if the problem keeps recurring, then the battery will need replacing.
Old 11-01-09, 04:06 PM   #3
Airwolf

charge the battery.
better still a new battery should do the trick.
or it could be a electrical short.
Old 11-01-09, 04:10 PM   #4
MrG650

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
I'd say battery is weak. Get an optimate trickle charger and charge it - if the problem keeps recurring, then the battery will need replacing.

+1 Had this problem a couple of weeks ago

Had changed bulbs and ran the battery out.Went to start it the following cold monday morning and had two tries before it died.

Got this off ebay and worked a treat.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OXIMISER-12v-B...1%7C240%3A1318

attached the permanent connector to battery to keep it topped up all the time
Old 11-01-09, 04:13 PM   #5
Alpinestarhero

Sometimes, when the day is a bit warmer, a bike with a bit of a duff battery will start fine. Other days (when its colder) the battery won't have enough power to crank the engine.

If you have to get a new battery, look for a suitable one with a high Cold Cranking Current / Amps (CCA). Yuasa are apparently quite good...its certainly worth the extra money over, say, a halfords battery. My dad brought a halfords battery for his car to save some dosh....it died in a year!

Matt
Old 11-01-09, 04:51 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Weak battery as suggested or a loose connection.Worth checking that the battery terminals are done up tight and not crudded up.
Old 11-01-09, 05:58 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

Sounds a little bit more like connector problems, though the battery may also be tired.

I'd start at the beginning, battery terminals, then work through as many of the connectors in the wiring harness as you can get to.

Battery terminals need to be clean and bright, and the bolts sensibly tight (but easy to overtighten so take care). If you don't have any "battery terminal grease" (who does?) then vaseline is the next best thing on battery terminals to keep them protected.

Check the terminals on the main solenoid where the battery positive cable goes to. Not sure where the neg (earth) cable ends up, but try to trace that too.

Take all the fuses out and check that their spades are clean, including the main 35A fuse in the solenoid (I assume the K3 is similar to mine in this respect), I'd suggest some aerosol "contact cleaner" (Maplins or I think Halfords do some). Renew fuses if in doubt, you can get cheap bulk packs with selected fuse ratings on any on-line auction site

Also do any other connector blocks, especially the reg/rec for example.
Old 11-01-09, 06:07 PM   #8
davepreston

definately try the main fuse my mates bike was messing about for a week or so after some fault finding it was rust all round the main fuse so i couldnt get a good connection 2 minutes of cleaning job done
Old 11-01-09, 08:35 PM   #9
richardh

Thanks for the advice, so it looks like i'll be off to the garage for a couple of hours with a pot of vasiline then.
I think it might be a **** battery, I've charged it up recently but still had the problem.
I've got a £20 quid charger. Is that most likely NOT a trickle charger then?

Thanks again

Richardh
Old 11-01-09, 09:17 PM   #10
embee
Mega Poster

What charger is it?

If it was £20 it probably isn't "intelligent", in other words it won't have built in sensing to decide what state of charge the battery is in, and you won't be able to just leave it connected for prolonged periods without the risk of over-charging, but it will probably charge the battery fine. Just connect it for maybe no more than say 5hrs at a time.