SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-04-08, 09:38 AM   #1
gico

Unhappy Doesn't want to start!

Hi All!
My problem is that whith the battery was over: so I kept it out and recharged it. But when I put it back, the motorbike didn't want to turn on. I am almost sure the battery is ok, because the lights and the hornet work fine, but I cannot even hear any noise when I try to turn on the motorbike . I also swapped the fuses in case the problem was with one of them... Can someone tell me which could the problem be?
Sorry if I am so unpractical with my motorbike mantainence art! R Pirsig would probably blame me!
Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Bye!!!
Old 10-04-08, 10:06 AM   #2
pmapp
Mega Poster

Default Re: Doesn't want to start!

Could simply not be enough charge to turn it over.

Have you checked the standard things too?
- Kill switch
- Clutch pulled in
- Out of gear

etc?

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 10:07 AM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

OK, You clearly have some juice left in the battery if all the lights are OK. So either:
1) The battery's just not got enough poke to start the bike. If this happens you will usually here a clicking down by the rider's seat as the starter motor relay engages and dis-engages.
2) The starter switch isn't engaging the relay. This can be down to corroded contacts but before you go nuts pulling things apart check that:
-The kill switch on the right handle bar is set to run (honestly, we've all done it)
-The bike is in neutral
-The clutch is pulled in

If this doesn't help there is a switch connected to the clutch lever and the side stand, bypass both with a bit of wire in case the safety switches have given up, try again. If this doesn't help check that the contacts for the starter switch itself haven't corroded up by taking it apart and cleaning it up. Be a bit careful if you're doing this as there's lots of springs and little bits of plastic and metal. It's a bit of a jigsaw, take lots of pictures as it comes apart

Further words of wisdom to follow from others....

Jambo
Old 10-04-08, 11:12 AM   #4
sv650k4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
OK, You clearly have some juice left in the battery if all the lights are OK. So either:
1) The battery's just not got enough poke to start the bike. If this happens you will usually here a clicking down by the rider's seat as the starter motor relay engages and dis-engages.
2) The starter switch isn't engaging the relay. This can be down to corroded contacts but before you go nuts pulling things apart check that:
-The kill switch on the right handle bar is set to run (honestly, we've all done it)
-The bike is in neutral
-The clutch is pulled in

If this doesn't help there is a switch connected to the clutch lever and the side stand, bypass both with a bit of wire in case the safety switches have given up, try again. If this doesn't help check that the contacts for the starter switch itself haven't corroded up by taking it apart and cleaning it up. Be a bit careful if you're doing this as there's lots of springs and little bits of plastic and metal. It's a bit of a jigsaw, take lots of pictures as it comes apart

Further words of wisdom to follow from others....

Jambo

aye +1.

if you have no joy maby try putting the bike on dealer mode???and see what it says???

Old 10-04-08, 11:16 AM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Not only the clutch lever but have a look under the lever mount and see if the clutch sensor switch is still plugged in, if it ain't it won't record the clutch lever being engaged and hence won't start the bike!
Old 10-04-08, 11:40 AM   #6
gico

Thank you guys, honestly! I'll try every suggestion and let you know!!!
Old 10-04-08, 11:43 AM   #7
sv650k4

aye try and few things tho maby by putting it straight on 2 the dealer mode mite be quicker/easyer???
Old 11-04-08, 08:18 AM   #8
Alpinestarhero

What year SV is it?

Matt
Old 11-04-08, 09:43 AM   #9
gico

ok, the battery returned to work, but the motorbike is engulfed and still doesn't want to start... aargh!
any trick for engulfed SV?
Old 11-04-08, 09:46 AM   #10
gico

and the battery went off again after 5 minutes of attempts of turning on the SV... I think I need to buy a new battery...