SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-04-17, 11:06 AM   #1
DuncanC

Default Strange misfire

Hi,

First of all my bikes a 2000s.
A couple of weeks ago I was out and about when having pulled away from a junction I revved it up to the red line and it cut on to one pot. Due to missing allen keys I couldn't do much with it so ended up limping home on one. As I was limping along I noticed that when I closed the throttle it was popping and banging burning fuel in the exhaust.
When home I checked which pipe was hot and determined that the rear cylinder was the dead one.

Next morning I checked the plug cap was on, pulled the plug (a couple of thousand mile old iridium number) and checked all the connections a round the coil. Nothing was wrong. So I fired her up and went for a 30 mile test ride. She was fine I tried high revs chugging along at low revs all was well.

Fast forward to yesterday I went for another blat. I noticed that after a couple runs up to the red line she was reluctant to rev past 7500. Fine up to there no matter what throttle I used but not revving past 7500/8000.
My tacho is an after market one that uses pulses from the rear coil (easier to get to) I noticed that it started fluctuating when misfiring, several hundred revs either way, so not reflecting the engine speed.

I'm now wondering is the tacho fluctuation caused by a lack of voltage to the low tension side of the coil or would a lack of spark cause there to be no signal from the coil?
If the former is it likely that one signal from the ignition box could break down under load/ when hot?
If the later can I change the HT lead on this type of coil or are they moulded in?
Any other idea about what might cause this sort of thing?
Thanks for your help.
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 12:35 PM   #2
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Re: Strange misfire

Why are you redlining it?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 02:22 PM   #3
Dave-the-rave

You're right to be focussing on the rear cylinder as all symptoms point that way. Don't change that HT lead yet. Have a look on you tube for how to test the whole coil first. You'll need a multimeter. Maplin do a decent enough one.

Riding around on one cylinder could damage the bottom end so stay close to home when doing test runs.
Old 23-04-17, 02:23 PM   #4
DuncanC

My first response would be why not? Or because I can. The engine is designed to be safe to redline and probably a bit beyond. However in this case redline isn't actually where I went, I went to shift light set at 9500. I don't normally bother with the red line or full throttle for that matter but occasionally it is nice to go a bit nuts. Having found this problem the only way to see if it fixed or not is to replicate the failure mode. If it is a load/heat problem I assume it will continue to deteriorate until it becomes a problem in my normal riding mode and as such I'd like it fixed before it does.
Old 23-04-17, 02:31 PM   #5
DuncanC

Dave, sorry I didn't see your post when I started mine. I have a multi meter and will test the coil. I suspect it will be fine cold as the issue is only at high revs when hot. I don't do high revs on a cold engine.
Old 23-04-17, 03:09 PM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Also check the resistance of the plug cap.Standard it should be 5K ohms but are usually a bit higher around 9k ohms but anything above that get a new one.

These are the red version plug caps,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spark-Plug...wAAOSw7NNT6WRf

and these are the black,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-NGK-Res...EAAOSweW5VX6ll

You can make a rubber skirt/seal to emulate the originals from some old inner tube.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 23-04-17 at 05:54 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 03:43 PM   #7
Seeker
Mega Poster

The only bike I've had a plug fail was on a 02 curvy, it would sporadically fire then miss for a few revs. In your situation I'd try a new set of plugs first (non iridium) and then suspect the coil. Not sure about the significance of the rev counter variance.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-17, 05:16 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Id agree that substitution of first the rear plug,then the cap/lead and coil for known good items is the way to find the culprit.Can you borrow any of those bits from anyone?
Old 23-04-17, 06:46 PM   #9
DuncanC

Right well I've tested the coil primary and secondary and loo to be Ok at 4.7 ohms on the primary and 28Kohms on the secondary. I'll have a play about with the plugs and caps and bits during the week.
As an aside whilst searching for R1ffR4ffs plug cap numbers (thanks for posting the link) I came across an old post about restricted SVs. My bike gets up near a ton easily but then runs out of puff. I'm not really bothered about this as with no fairing hanging at those speeds is not fun. I also put it down to an old bike and a fat pilot. However reading that thread made me think "33hp struggles to break a ton" Humm I wonder. So assuming the restriction is in the ignition module does any body know the part number for a normal module? My part number is J54 20F0 BB7708 OB29.
Old 24-04-17, 07:17 AM   #10
Corny Gizmo

Restriction was carb washers on the Curvys, not the ignition module.