SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Rideouts & Meetings Arrange get togethers and rideouts

Old 25-07-07, 12:13 PM   #1
Baph

Default North Wales Rideout #2

OK, I've had a few people asking about this, so I thought I'd get my head sorted & organise something.

The plan so far (and any changes will see this post being edited for purposes of clarity), is to meet at Ponderosa, have a ride around, and for those that want to, stay the night somewhere, then have a ride around the next day. Last time most folks went home on the first day, instead of sleeping out somewhere, which is fine.

Dates: Day 1, Saturday 8th September. Day 2, Sunday 9th September.

Meeting Point: Ponderosa (see day1 map below). Near the top of HorseShoe Pass, just outside Llangollen. Time TBC (last time was 10am, but was deemed a little early with a pretty short ride).

Day 1: See the map here. This is the last ride's day 1, with an extension inserted at Betws-y-coed. Some folks said the ride on day 1 was a little short, so I took this into consideration in planning. By myself, without much stopping (read: only fuel), riding sensibly, I could do this route in around 3hours. Call it 4h 30 for the group with stops for lunch/fuel/cakes for Quiff. If anyone wants company back to Llangollen/Ponderosa after we reach Llanberis, I'll happily do that ride again too. So far, I'm thinking lunch at Ponderosa, then head out around 12ish?

Day 2: See map here. I thought a coastal route might be good, but this works out quite long (163miles apparently). With stops, maybe a 5-6 hour ride. It's up for discussion if anyone wants to chop bits out of this route. I'm thinking 11am depart on day 2? If the weather's good, that run has amazing views, if it's bad, it has some spots of high winds, so we'll take that into account later.

Rideout strategy: Same as before. Luckypants has generously offered to take Lead. I'll run tail end. Last time the ride naturally split into two groups, and I'd appreciate if someone from the faster riders would volunteer as a marker (Pete did this last time, but if anyone else wants to, let me know please). Everyone other than me, Luckypants and the marker can sit anywhere between Luckypants & me. If you know the route (and you're able to), I'm sure Luckypants wouldn't mind being overtaken, but I won't be overtaking anyone.

Accommodation: Your responsability to sort your own, should you wish to stay the night. We'll be finishing in Llanberis at the end of Day 1, and there's millions of campsites/B&Bs in the area. I'll happily guide anyone to anywhere they book into. However, there are 5 beds left at Pete's Eats. First come first serve basis, stick a post up quickly if you want a bed!!

Definate attendee's (so far, in no perticular order):
Me
Luckypants
Plowsie
Pete/Lissa
Stewie
DoubleD (Day1 only)

Maybe attendee's (so far, in no perticular order):
Stu
Hovis

So folks, if you want to come along, stick a post up with any questions etc, and as I sort more details, I'll edit this post.

So long as I have a definate "yes I'm coming" the day before (Friday 7th September) by 17:00, then we'll hang around at Ponderosa for you. If you haven't said "yes" by then, we won't wait. Simple really.

For those that know the roads around the area, your feedback is welcome, and will be taken into consideration. If anyone has any roads/places they want to take in, stick a post up & let me know. Same goes for roads/places to be avoided.

As I put above, last time a couple of people expressed concerns that the pace was a little too hot for them. It's the same thing as before, that people should ride to their ability for the conditions. Some of the roads can be severe, and if you don't know the road, you have to be able to read the road well if you're going to ride hard. If you're not comfortable doing that, hold back. I'll be behind everyone anyway, and I don't care if we end up doing 30mph everywhere (I get amazing MPG figures doing that)!!

Please heed this warning: Bends can be sharp, blind, tighten, covered in gravel/cow muck and any of the above combined, ride to your abilities. The ride will be happening in areas where farm vehicles can pull out slowly from around a blind bend. Then you've got tourists reading maps to contend with!! We don't want anyone being sent off in an ambulance (no matter how attractive the paramedic is!!).

Last edited by Baph; 26-07-07 at 11:41 AM.
Old 25-07-07, 12:56 PM   #2
DoubleD

Default Re: North Wales Rideout #2

According to Google maps to get to the start line from St. Annes is about 98.7 miles - 1 hour 54 mins.

Put me as a maybe as I will have get home again from the finish line which is about 139 mi – 2 hours 38 mins and I need to have a think about it.
Old 25-07-07, 01:07 PM   #3
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
According to Google maps to get to the start line from St. Annes is about 98.7 miles - 1 hour 54 mins.

Put me as a maybe as I will have get home again from the finish line which is about 139 mi – 2 hours 38 mins and I need to have a think about it.
We briefly discussed this before. Not sure exactly where you live, but it was simple for me to get to Bolton (and I live not that far from Llanberis). A55, M56, M60, M61, A666, but yes, it was about 2hours 30 ish in the car. I'd of done it quicker if I was on the bike, but Jen didn't appreciate the thought of riding in the rain.

Is Mrs DoubleD still thinking of coming as pillion?

Depending on numbers etc, it might be better for some to sleep in Llandudno, where B&Bs are cheaper (eg, £18/night as opposed to £50/night in Llanberis), and we also have a sofa-bed (first come first... get's discussed with Jen basis).

I can also enquire about discounts for bookings in B&Bs etc.

EDIT: I've put in the OP that it's your responsibility to sort accommodation, but I don't mind helping out where I can.

Last edited by Baph; 25-07-07 at 01:11 PM.
Old 25-07-07, 01:23 PM   #4
DoubleD

I'll have to check with Mrs DoubleD but last time we all spoke she was still interested. I think I'll end up staying the night and going home the next day, I'll check around and sort come accommodation after checking with the Mrs. Thanks for the offer of help
Old 25-07-07, 01:33 PM   #5
plowsie

I'll come deffo, what sort of mileage are we looking at on the saturday and sunday combined Baph? Thinking whether to come up on the Friday to accomodation.
Old 25-07-07, 01:40 PM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
I'll come deffo, what sort of mileage are we looking at on the saturday and sunday combined Baph? Thinking whether to come up on the Friday to accomodation.
Day 1's route is (according to google maps) 142 miles. I'm not sure yet as for Sunday, but I'd assume it'd be roughly the same, rounding up to save counting on my fingers, call it 300miles over the 2 days.
Old 25-07-07, 01:44 PM   #7
plowsie

Cool mate, deffo be there
Old 25-07-07, 01:50 PM   #8
hovis

what time is kick off?

as its a bit of a trek up there
got a post code of the start point?
Old 25-07-07, 02:00 PM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
what time is kick off?

as its a bit of a trek up there
got a post code of the start point?
Hovis Hovis Hovis....

Have you read the original post?

Kick off is to be confirmed. Last time, we met at 10am, and departed approx 10:30. This was deemed a little early, so I'm thinking about maybe a 12 noon kick off. Then a 4hour 30 ish ride for the group to Llanberis. Even that might be a little short (feedback welcome folks!).

As for the starting point, click on the map for Day 1, there's a pointer right on top of Ponderosa (follow the blue line east ish until it stops).

Probably the easiest route for you would be up the A483 (nice & twisty too), until Oswestry, where it becomes the A5. Stay on the A5 until Llangollen, then on the A542 (also signposted "HorseShoe Pass"). You can't miss Ponderosa when you get to the top of the hill on your right hand side, it's the only building there.

Ponderosa's website is here.
Old 25-07-07, 03:57 PM   #10
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Hovis Hovis Hovis....

Have you read the original post?
nope.............. it was far too long for my liking

anywho its 3-4 hours for me to get there