SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-12-18, 07:36 PM   #1
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Oxford Hot Grips controller placement?

Fitted some Hot Grips today. All good but not keen on the look of the big controller sticking out above the bars. Mounted as they suggest on the bolt for the clutch lever. It's the first thing you notice when you look at the bike when sitting on it and I find it quite ugly.

Has anyone got a controller placed in a different place on an SV? Looking for alternative ideas. Needs to be accessible to use when riding but not obtrusive. A contradiction I know. I did think about sticking it with the adhesive pad to the faring next to the speedo, but that will be a bit tricky to use when riding.

I've got Renthal riser bars fitted.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-18, 10:41 AM   #2
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Oxford Hot Grips controller placement?

After it's been there a while you'll stop noticing it, or caring. I too thought about ****ing about with it when I fitted mine 6 years ago. It's still mounted to the clutch lever, as everywhere else would be a ball ache to reach when riding.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-18, 02:20 PM   #3
graham04

Mine is on the clutch lever and is easy to reach and operate. If you try to hide it away, then operation may prove difficult. I set it on low, right at the start of a journey, better than waiting for your hands to get cold.
graham04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-18, 07:25 PM   #4
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I think you're right. I'm going to leave it there for now and see if I can ignore it. Looking at it the main reason it stands out is the silver bracket it's mounted with. Everything else around it is black. Might try and spray the bracket black.
Old 06-12-18, 09:26 PM   #5
shiftin_gear98

Even the bracket dulls with time!
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 02:46 PM   #6
Kambo

I had heated grips on my last bike and luckily when I purchased the SV the last owner had also put them on - he put it in the flat area next to the Speedo

But the heated grips were temperamental and pretty much on there way out so I asked the bike shop to fit some new ones. They have put them I’m guessing the same as above on the clutch lever section on the end of the grip - I’m not a fan of having them there

When they removed the old controller it left a nice glue patch behind next to he speedo so I’m killing two birds with one stone here - cover up the glue patch and mount it out the way where the Speedo is, no issue using it on the move

You might get used to it where it is now but if you prefer it out the way then the area next to the Speedo as you mentioned is the best place
Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 02:50 PM   #7
Kambo

Sorry just noticed you have bar risers fitted, on a standard set up the Speedo area is fine so not sure wth yours

But it’s not something you will be operating all the time
Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-19, 08:04 PM   #8
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

A quick follow up on this. I fitted it in the recommended position on the left of the bars and haven't moved it since. I would't want it anywhere else when trying to use it while riding.
Old 25-02-19, 01:46 PM   #9
aesmith

I know you're sorted but just for reference this is where I mounted mine. All the cables routed back under tank and connected back there.

aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-19, 05:07 PM   #10
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I have my GI pro in the same place.

I think I'll leave the controller on the bars as I'm mounting a switch for auxilliary lights and have a feeling I can drill an extra hole in the Oxford bracket to mount the switch too, so it's not far from the full beam switch.