SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-03-19, 07:18 AM   #1
Freespirit

Cool Misfiring

Hello all really enjoyed the last 2 week's riding my curvy absolutely puzzled as to the newest problem I'm having with her she's sk1 she's just had a carb rebuild and clean which took 2 days and still the problem is not fixed when cold she idle terribly almost like she wants to cut out all the time till I crack the throttle then she roars back when warm ish going through the gears she's back fireibg and popping from exhaust we've checked all manifolds for leaks all pipes for leather real main problem is when going through the gears and reaching a high rpm the needle climbs up as normal the engine sounds up but I don't go any faster then bang all at once I get the power . Like a really bad delayed throttle response. I have a feel I need to change coils and ht leads as I'm sure she goes from 1 cylinder to 2 in a blink of an eye any thoughts please. Really baffled with this
Freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 08:54 AM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Misfiring

First thing I would do is check the Spark plugs and replace the Spark plug caps.You can chop a little of the HT cables back to get new metal to screw into.

See this thread for cheaper than OEM caps,

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...hlight=SD05FMR

I'm also a great believer in fuel cleaners like Redex for keeping lines and carbs/fuel bodies clean

Wilkos Supermarkets are doing the 4 bottle deal again for £8.50.Last you ages.

Then give the bike a good run out.

Also search for info on,"SV650 Choke Plungers" as these sticking is a common cause of this kind of problem.

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 05-03-19 at 10:10 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 11:16 AM   #3
Othen

I'm assuming there are no mechanical problems (like low compression, burning oil &c), so you are left with either a fuel mixture or an ignition issue.

Is the problem exactly the same as before you had the carburettors rebuilt? Assuming it has been done properly then we can probably discount an issue with the fuel mixture (although it would be worth checking the pilot jets and needle position as the symptoms you describe sound a little like an imperfect handover between pilot jet (handles the first 25% of throttle opening) and the needle jet (does the middle 50%) - as that check is free and quite easy to do yourself.

What is left is the ignition system. As R1ffR4ff says above, check there is a spark at both of the plugs first - that is something else you could easily do yourself (and is free). Changing the plugs will only cost about £8, so that is probably worth doing anyway now. I think on a curvy the the plug caps, HT leads and coils come as integral units. You could probably pick up a used set for both cylinders for about £20, which would not be a bad idea as you could use them to swap in out out to see if the problem moves or goes away.

Good fortune,

Alan
Old 05-03-19, 11:28 AM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

The HT cables are bonded into the coils on my Curvy but the Plug caps,as per link posted,have a standard Brass screw in the HT Plug end so are easily replaceable.The ceramic resistor inside the Plug caps should read 5k Ohms when new but the caps can be tested on the 20k Ohm setting on a digital meter without dismantling.Anything North of 8k Ohms and I replace them

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 05-03-19 at 11:42 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 12:52 PM   #5
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
The HT cables are bonded into the coils on my Curvy but the Plug caps,as per link posted,have a standard Brass screw in the HT Plug end so are easily replaceable.The ceramic resistor inside the Plug caps should read 5k Ohms when new but the caps can be tested on the 20k Ohm setting on a digital meter without dismantling.Anything North of 8k Ohms and I replace them
That is good advice.

So, Freespirit, do the free and easy or cheap things first:

1. Pull the plugs out and see if they are sparking.
2. Check the resistance of the HT leads.
3. Change the plugs.
4. Change the plug caps.
5. Check the pilot jets and needle position.

Addendum: I saw this advertised:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/suzuki-sv...:rk:1:razz:f:0

If changing the plugs doesn't work you could probably eliminate other likely sparking problems for £20.

Last edited by Othen; 05-03-19 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 05:34 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Check the choke cable hasn't gone stiff as this was a major cause of my curvy running poorly.

Usually the rear carb once it's gone through the splitter, it stopped the rear plunger from retracting properly
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote