SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-07-06, 10:30 AM   #531
Stormspiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealvw
BUT did anyone else know that the earths magnetic poles are or will be changing. SO north becomes south, south becomse north....
year 11 Physics next 50 years or so, so i should still be alive.
Old 12-07-06, 11:22 AM   #532
therealvw

they never told me that at school. Mind you when I was at school it wasn't classed as year 11 it was proper 5th Year!

God I'm old!
Old 12-07-06, 01:02 PM   #533
Jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspiel
Quote:
BUT did anyone else know that the earths magnetic poles are or will be changing. SO north becomes south, south becomse north....
Not the next 50 years, it doesnt just happen like switching on a light bulb, it happens gradually over a long period of time.

I think the last time it happened was about 10000 years ago, or something daft, so we are definately due for one, it may even be happening now.
Old 12-07-06, 01:32 PM   #534
Stormspiel

It's going to complete over the next 50 years or so apparently,So in 50 years time (ish) south=north & north=south never said it was goin to happen in exactly 50 years or that it would suddenly flip did i

It was proven/ discovered by the iron content in the earth's surface (i.e rocks), that were found to show a pattern of direction as if being pulled towards one direction then gradually it would shift to be pulled towards the other. I can't remember which way round it is but lets says it's getting dragged North, then it will all show that it is being sucked towards the North pole. Eventually it will appear to be pulled to the south Pole but it is actually what we regard as magnetic north .

We did 1 lesson on it in Physics in year 11 so that was about 4 years ago, and for some reason it's stuck...along with various German and french insults
Old 12-07-06, 01:42 PM   #535
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspiel
Quote:
Not the next 50 years, it doesnt just happen like switching on a light bulb, it happens gradually over a long period of time.

I think the last time it happened was about 10000 years ago, or something daft, so we are definately due for one, it may even be happening now.
Seems to be constantly shifting according to this:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...neticfield.htm

Nasa saying the last flip indicated by the magnetism in rocks was 780,000 years ago with them happening every 300,000 on average.

I do like this idea though:

Quote:
A south magnetic pole might emerge over Africa, for instance, or a north pole over Tahiti. Weird. But it's still a planetary magnetic field, and it still protects us from space radiation and solar storms.

And, as a bonus, Tahiti could be a great place to see the Northern Lights.
Bring it on
Old 20-07-06, 01:01 PM   #536
Anonymous

There's a lovely little town in Pennsylvania called "Intercourse".

I was there when I got a call on my mobile phone: "Where are you, and what are you up to?" asked my secretary. I could only just about answer: "I'm in the middle of Inter...."
Old 21-07-06, 06:55 AM   #537
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Ockx
There's a lovely little town in Pennsylvania called "Intercourse".

I was there when I got a call on my mobile phone: "Where are you, and what are you up to?" asked my secretary. I could only just about answer: "I'm in the middle of Inter...."
I can belive that as,
I was on tour in NI, and got a call on the radio. "24 Charlie, Send Loc stat, over."
to which I replied "Currently searching this bush line in Muff"

how we laughed...

coat, taxi.
Old 21-07-06, 10:36 AM   #538
DanDare

Bit like those towns in the Shetlands and Orkney's..........****t.

Yep there real, just check a map.
Old 21-07-06, 10:44 AM   #539
rpwoodman

Place called Spuzum in Vancouver, BC
Old 30-07-06, 06:11 PM   #540
lynw

One for anyone dieting today. Adding chilli sauces or mustard to dishes can increase your calorie burn by up to 8% because the active ingredient capsaicin speeds up your metabolism.

Green tea can have a similar effect.