SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-08-05, 08:24 PM   #1
German bird

Default problems in the wet - please help

Hello everybody.
Not sure if this is the right place to post it. Bu,t got soaked again today and my bike just didnt want to know after a while. I got a SV650S - SK1 and it started to cough and splatter, just not running right. Thought i saw a post here before with regards to this but cannot find it.

Please point me in the right direction.
Thank, Heike
Old 24-08-05, 09:12 PM   #2
chutz

sounds like the front spark plug problem. The front plug can get wet and stop firing resulting in no power, rough running and scary moments if it suddenly kicks in when you're not expecting it. Take out the front plug and clean and dry it. The fit a fender extenda to stop it getting sprayed with road crap and water. There are some here who recommend some sort of grease or sealant (sorry but can't remember what it was) to stop water getting in there.
Old 24-08-05, 09:17 PM   #3
haggis

I know some had drainage probs from the front cylinder. The recess where your sparkplug sits gets filled up and it either runs on one cylinder very badly or not at all.

If you look on the righthand side of the bike, the side of the front cylinder has a little hole behind the coolant pipe. Get a big paperclip/ stiff wire and a cotton bud and make sure it's clear.

I'd go and take a photo but it's dark and wet and cold and windy and the bike's waaaaaaay over in the shed sleeping.

If it's not that then keep us posted, maybe someone else has experience of dodgy electrics.
Old 24-08-05, 09:23 PM   #4
chutz

wow Haggis, you from Skye!!! Lovely place. I went there 2 years ago and fell in love with it. Whereabouts in Skye are you from ? A good friend of mine is in Stornoway not far from Skye this week on holiday with a view to moving up there, if she does I'll be visiting so will have to drop in on you on my way!!! via Nutty tart of course
Old 24-08-05, 09:25 PM   #5
haggis

Ok, i have a photo now but how do I upload from my pc?
Old 24-08-05, 09:38 PM   #6
suzsv650

www.thebikereview.com/iup

use that!
Old 24-08-05, 10:03 PM   #7
haggis

Thankyou suzsv650!

here it is with drain hole circled, the rear cylinder one is on the other side of the bike under the tank.

Old 24-08-05, 10:05 PM   #8
suzsv650

ahh that hole i saw some water come out of that after i washed mine lol thats what it dose ! lol!
Old 24-08-05, 10:14 PM   #9
haggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutz
wow Haggis, you from Skye!!! Lovely place. I went there 2 years ago and fell in love with it. Whereabouts in Skye are you from ? A good friend of mine is in Stornoway not far from Skye this week on holiday with a view to moving up there, if she does I'll be visiting so will have to drop in on you on my way!!! via Nutty tart of course

Between Portree and Dunvegan, a little village called Edinbane. Be sure to let me know if you're heading up anytime, go for a quick blast or a beer, whatever, on the way to the ferry.

It can be a nice place but sometimes I do hanker for a little more contact with civilisation. But no need to hurry in bringing the gatso's etc....
Old 24-08-05, 10:17 PM   #10
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

There's no need to remove the plug, just take off the cap and squirt some WD40 or similar down the plug recess and into the plug cap, reassemble and ensure, as said above, that the drain hole is clear.

Fit a fender extender. It is possible to seal the plug cap into the recess and stop the problem re-occuring that way, but it certainly seems to me that it's better to stop the water getting up into that area in the first place anyway, also it keeps the bike a dab cleaner.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote