SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-03-12, 12:56 PM   #1
arcdef

Default GSXR Bar-end refitting problem.

So i went to change the grips on my Gsxr-600 k2 the other day so un screwed my bar ends and replaced them. Easy i thought, then i went to screw the bar ends back in and for some reason they wont catch on any thread. The bolt is going all the way in but it seems like the other end has vanished....

Any ideas as it looks rubbish without them!

Cheers,

Ash
Old 13-03-12, 01:19 PM   #2
HoL

Default Re: bar ends

They are held in place by squishing some rubber thats in the handle (if it's the same as mine!?). I found if you put the bar end in then pull the screw out so that the bolt on the inside can grip a bit against the internal rubber then it will eventually tighten up. Hope that makes sense.
Old 13-03-12, 01:21 PM   #3
HoL

Just occured to me if you've just unscrewed them then you'll need to pull the rubber bit out from inside the handlebars & you should find a bolt rattling round in there that has come off.
Old 13-03-12, 01:40 PM   #4
arcdef

Well the end of the bar end is just metal with a hole in there, ive tried shaking the bars to see if something moved down but still no luck, considering its such as small problem this is really frustrating!
Old 13-03-12, 01:43 PM   #5
HoL

Are you sure it's not a big fat washer thats a bit lodged in?
Old 13-03-12, 01:54 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

long thin pozi/philips screwdriver put some grease/washy on the tip push between bar and rubber gromit, push all the way round between bar and grommet, use spring hook tool to extract rubber grommet. screw end will usually fall out of bar.

tip. assemble the bar end loosely before you push back in then tighten screw.

you can make a spring hook using an old metal coat hanger.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-12, 02:15 PM   #7
arcdef

Im not sure if im being stupid here but i dont have any rubber at the end of the bar end, its just the metal end with a screw hole, am i going to have to fish around inside the bar end? It is a GSXR not an SV if that makes a difference?
Old 13-03-12, 02:19 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

ahhh. then just screw bar end into the bar. there is no nut the thread is part of the actual bar.

are you using the same bar ends of aftermarket new ones? if they are aftermarket ones the screw might not be long enough.

Last edited by Bibio; 13-03-12 at 02:21 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-12, 02:35 PM   #9
arcdef

well i unscrewed it before changing my grips and now it just wont go back in, i'm bewildered as to how this has happened!