SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-12-18, 01:17 PM   #1
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Flickering headlights

Am scratching my head on this a bit so would appreciate advice if it's happened before. Possibly not so new but now I am riding in the dark a lot more, I've noticed it.

Once I've been riding for more than about 5-10mins, the headlight starts flickering, including the lights in the clocks. If I pull the front brake, then the flickering stops - I'm pretty sure that is a consistent response. It smacks to me of a grotty connection e.g. earth, but if someone has had this before it could save me a lot of time! I tried a search but didn't come up with an answer (I don't think).

Thanks a lot
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 03:37 PM   #2
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Re: Flickering headlights

What bike?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 08:44 PM   #3
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Sorry 1999 SV650S
Old 31-12-18, 04:53 PM   #4
whysub

Reg/rec probably. Check the voltage at the battery-should be 13.5v at tickover, and around 14.5v at 5000rpm.

Do the lights get brighter when the front brake is applied (ie the brake light comes on)? Mine had this issue, but a new reg/rec sorted it. And buy a genuine Suzuki one (Second hand is ok) rather than a cheap Chinese copy.

Check all the wiring first, and I would run a seperate earth from the reg/rec, and not rely on the earth within the loom.
Old 01-01-19, 07:33 PM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Hmm thanks whysub, it is an Electrex one which I believe is a MOSFET modern type. I could disconnect it and ride on battery power and see how it is. Yes lights get brighter and stop flickering when front brake is applied (brake light on). Can't remember the voltages, will have to check again but seem to remember them being fine.
Old 02-01-19, 11:36 AM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Seems like the extra current drawn by brake light ( about 2 amps ) is affecting the RR output and stabilising the voltage it is outputting - I guess you could check this by strapping a 21 watt bulb across the battery terminals and running the engine, see if output is steadier.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 03:01 PM   #7
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Connected a digi voltmeter to the battery and went for a ride to Tescos, about 5-6 miles away. Battery was about 12V, rising to 13.5V when running (though not at tickover). Was steady for the first few miles then started to drop, once below about 13V it started wandering all over the place from 12.8V to 11.5V. Was about 11.8V on tickover and went up to 12V when I turned the engine off. Coming back to the bike after shopping, did the same thing, ran at a steady 13.5V for a few miles then started dropping slowly then was all over the place. This matches the behaviour with the flickering headlights the other day - I can't go in the dark as I can't read the multimeter! Guess I'll be having a conversation with Electrex tomorrow.
Old 07-01-19, 07:50 PM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

On the Electrex World site under "technical" they have a good R/R test page. I don't have the diode test function on my mutlimeter so used resistance instead. With the black probe on the battery wires (either, as it happens) then one of the three alternator terminals is dead, the other two work. With the red probe on either battery wire, all three alternator terminals do the same thing. So looks like it's cooked. Also battery is 12.4V max after beign charged (and settling) so looks to be sulfated. £££.

Anyone care to suggest a R/R for a 1999 SV? I can't remember how long I've had the Electrex one on there, I would reckon about 6 years, I'm not sure if a Japanese one would fare better? The Electrex one is MOSFET.
Old 08-01-19, 09:17 PM   #9
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I plumped for Electrex again, it is model RR85 for the curvy. There was a secondhand one on ebay but it's for the later 650/1000, but I found it at M&P for £15 less than the direct price. Battery from MDS Battery for Yuasa. At least I'll be mobile again.
Old 09-01-19, 07:26 AM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

I seem to remember seeing somewhere, someone made a bigger plate to mount the RR, to dissipate the heat better, which would help the RR last a bit longer. Being stuck away behind the seat fairing out of the air flow can't do it any good?
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote