SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Riding Gear Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 01-11-08, 10:39 PM   #11
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: Heated Grips?

I am having to send my controller back to Oxford as it has failed , they offer a 2 year warranty on them and it hasn`t lasted a year
Old 02-11-08, 01:22 AM   #12
ridelikeaturtle

Was it the new one (LEDs) or old (analog, dial) type? I never had any problem w/either. Might just be one of those things.
Old 02-11-08, 01:24 AM   #13
xXBADGERXx

New LED type with the up and down buttons . I went out the other morning and the grips were ever so slightly warm and the final LED (Red one?) was dimly lit . Immediately disconnected them and contacted Oxford who passed the buck by telling me to go to where I got them from ......... unfortunately I got them from eBay which is gonna be a pain in the bum to sort with the seller . Might see what my local Bike shop can do for me on that front .
Old 02-11-08, 01:35 AM   #14
ridelikeaturtle

I'll assume you wired them direct to the battery (as the instructions probably state). IMO it's best to wire them via a disribution block, like this:

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

Otherwise, if you've got a multimeter just double-check that your voltage reg/rect is charging the battery OK - and if you haven't had any problems so far then it's probably fine.

Good luck w/the eBay route.

If all is wired correctly - the connections are clean and tight and corrosion-free - and your voltage reg/rect is working as expected and you don't have any charging problems, then go down the replacement route.

Are the grips not heating up? The new ones (LEDs) you have to hold the button down before it actually comes on (part of the built-in minimum voltage clever-ness).
Old 02-11-08, 01:38 AM   #15
xXBADGERXx

The grips were wired direct to the battery , I would hold the button in for more than 3 seconds and get nothing . It would also feel like the button had moved underneath the fascia of the controller . They have worked fine and all connections were hidden away and heatshrinked . The controller itself has thrown a wobbly and I reckon it has water inside the actual box itself as it happened after the downpours last week . The controller won`t be able to switch itself off to stop drawing too much from the battery as it is probably water ingress causing a circuit .
Old 02-11-08, 01:44 AM   #16
ridelikeaturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
The grips were wired direct to the battery , I would hold the button in for more than 3 seconds and get nothing . It would also feel like the button had moved underneath the fascia of the controller . They have worked fine and all connections were hidden away and heatshrinked . The controller itself has thrown a wobbly and I reckon it has water inside the actual box itself as it happened after the downpours last week . The controller won`t be able to switch itself off to stop drawing too much from the battery as it is probably water ingress causing a circuit .
"water ingress"??? Sounds like it's simply not working. Convince whoever sold it to you, so ****it then and get a new controller.
Old 02-11-08, 01:52 AM   #17
xXBADGERXx

Yeah , simplest solution all round , really missing the nice and toasty feeling on the commute to work at 5:30 am
Old 02-11-08, 04:16 PM   #18
Spikenipple

I fitted some Hot Grips a few weeks back and only had 3 or 4 journeys where they worked...the blue LED would turn on and then back off after about half a second, and that's it.
I'm sending the control unit back tomorrow to be replaced. It's a nice idea to have all of this fancy electronic trickery built-in but only if they make it bloody work properly...

My old SV

South & West Surfer
Spikenipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 04:20 PM   #19
xXBADGERXx

That`s more likely to be a supply issue with the grips , have you measured the voltage from the battery when the bike is running , if it drops below a certain amount the grips turn themselves off .
Old 03-11-08, 11:24 AM   #20
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Happening to mine too!! Haven't even been able to use them yet due to turd weather. Just started it up this morning and getting the same thing Spike Nipples is getting. Im hoping its just cos it hasn't been out for a run for a wee while and needs a bit of charging to get the battery up to voltage.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote