SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-03-06, 03:14 PM   #1
DanDare

Default British Engineering, whats going on????

What is happening to England these days. We were once a nation renowed for Engineering brilliance. Brunel was a god!

So why now in this day in age can we not build a stadium within the bugdet and on time. The Chinese can now build a F1 circuit in the space of a year and its ready for the race.
Old 31-03-06, 03:18 PM   #2
sharriso74

Because we used an Australian firm
"
What's that skippy our share price is plumeting"
Old 31-03-06, 03:41 PM   #3
Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharriso74
Because we used an Australian firm
"
What's that skippy our share price is plumeting"
But unfortunately the workforce is British!

Remember the good old days when people employed apprentices? Well in the early eighties we stopped the old fashioned apprenticeships and replaced them with various cheap labour schemes, YOPs, YTS etc and now we are paying the price of a major skills shortage! A period of minimal investment in training and skills has led to our current sorry state.
Old 31-03-06, 03:41 PM   #4
Peter Henry

Relax all is not lost! The journos of Solo Moto this week heaped praise on the Triumph 675 and after first raising the question if it was possible for a small English motorcycle company to take on the might of the Japanese and their middle weight sports bikes. Their own answer to this question was an emphatic YES and then some! :P
Old 31-03-06, 03:48 PM   #5
Mr Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner
Not entirely true - a report in the Independent today http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle354784.ece indicates that 29% of the workforce in London is composed of low paid migrants - so I guess it's actually being built by eastern europeans
Old 31-03-06, 03:59 PM   #6
rwoodcock01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner
Not entirely true - a report in the Independent today http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle354784.ece indicates that 29% of the workforce in London is composed of low paid migrants - so I guess it's actually being built by eastern europeans
The wife works round the corner from there (the stadium), stopped in the ace one night before picking her up on the bike, spoke to a builder who works there, he told me that a good proportion of the workers where low paid workers from East Europe, and at one point they where actively avoiding english workers because they where to expensive.

Not sure how true his statements where, so I would take them with a pinch of salt myself.

Cheers

Rich
Old 31-03-06, 05:54 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I thought the old stadium was a 1930s icon and perfectly adequate for the job.It was an act of vandalism to demolish it,and a very expensive one at that.They are now all getting their come uppance and I for one am glad.
Old 31-03-06, 06:51 PM   #8
medwaysv

agree biggles..maybe the old stadium could have had a bit of a re-furb other than that leave well alone
unfotunatly it makes this country seem to be populated by idiots
Old 31-03-06, 06:57 PM   #9
mattSV
Mega Poster

medwaysv wrote:-

Quote:
unfotunatly it makes this country seem to be populated by idiots
Speak for yourself

I think RUN by idiots would be more apt.
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-06, 08:03 PM   #10
Cronos

Default Re: British Engineering, whats going on????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare
What is happening to England these days. We were once a nation renowed for Engineering brilliance. Brunel was a god!

So why now in this day in age can we not build a stadium within the bugdet and on time. The Chinese can now build a F1 circuit in the space of a year and its ready for the race.
Well that's nothing compared to the negligent financial management of the Scottish Parliament building which was estimated at £10m to £40m and managed to come in a shade under half a billion pounds and years late!

It's currently a no go zone with emergency repairs being required to stop the roof falling in.

Still, it's nothing that copious amounts of tax payers' money won't solve.