SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-07-20, 01:55 PM   #8381
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
Having the same trouble. Been trying to get a quote for an extension for about a month. "Sure mate, send us the plans" and that's the only time you hear from them.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Exactly same here, I even delivered the plans to one guy's house as he 'couldn't get on with web plans' (admittedly only round the corner), never heard back. I've been trying for at least 3 months
Old 31-07-20, 01:57 PM   #8382
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Looks great Bibio. I liked it before so was expecting to be disappointed but that looks good.
cheers am dear. was going to mot it today but the battery was flat
ohh well there is next week
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-20, 01:59 PM   #8383
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
all to do with time and money. lots of small jobs that take half to a day billed out at 20%+ more add up to more than a big job costed out for a week.

right now everyone is chasing their tails picking up from where they left off before lockdown. a lot of this work was money up front which has been spent so they have to get 'in between' work to make money while they finish off the backlog.

life is good for tradesmen right now, too good so they dont have much time to quote for new work or can be very picky about what they want to do.

one of the mates goes out at 7am and is not back till 8pm+ 7 days as everyone wants it done yesterday.

and the cost of materials has gone up and is a bit sporadic so quoting for jobs is a nightmare especially big ones.

Just quote me £10k over the odds then...or say you're too busy, don't rush me for the plans and then stop answering your phone. It makes me (obviously) not want to use any of them...but it's been the same experience with every single one.

I'm at the point where I'm thinking of quitting my job and trying it myself ...but imagine disaster will ensue
Old 31-07-20, 02:16 PM   #8384
Seeker
Mega Poster

My experience on the east coast is broadly similar. I've just had my dormer roof refelted - initially I only got two quotes, third was a no-show. Acccepted 2nd quote, 3 times he promised he was coming but never showed. Got two more quotes and the first of these was quite apologetic and told me on the phone there was a 10 week lead time. Second guy quoted and a week later did the re-felt.
I have a fencing guy booked for September and that was requested in July.
Old 31-07-20, 03:13 PM   #8385
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Just quote me £10k over the odds then...or say you're too busy, don't rush me for the plans and then stop answering your phone. It makes me (obviously) not want to use any of them...but it's been the same experience with every single one.

I'm at the point where I'm thinking of quitting my job and trying it myself ...but imagine disaster will ensue

it could be worse as my supposed mate who was my best man at my wedding has let me down big style. i will never ever speak to that awipe again as long as i live. it was an extension for Mrs B so she can get back home and its not like i was getting mates rates either.
Old 31-07-20, 05:21 PM   #8386
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
it could be worse as my supposed mate who was my best man at my wedding has let me down big style. i will never ever speak to that awipe again as long as i live. it was an extension for Mrs B so she can get back home and its not like i was getting mates rates either.
bugger, cocked up the job or never started?
Old 02-08-20, 01:43 PM   #8387
Bibio
Mega Poster

he was all promises that never amounted to anything so job was never even started.
Old 02-08-20, 10:52 PM   #8388
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
he was all promises that never amounted to anything so job was never even started.
Probably a lucky escape if that’s his mettle
Old 03-08-20, 01:56 PM   #8389
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

I ordered glasses from glassesdirect.co.uk since I can't go to the optician and one of the lenses was wrong. Sent them back, they acknowledged their mistake and sent another pair. The new pair arrived today and also have the wrong prescription so now I've got to send them back again. I first ordered them on the 30th of June

Never again
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 04:20 PM   #8390
DJ123
Mega Poster

My local council.

My garage is in a small block (4 of) and there is also parking opposite the garages against the fence line, which borders council land.
The council 'own'/ maintain the road leading up to it, but appears to think they don't own the land on which the garages/parking takes place and the same for the fence surrounding it.
So i've now to send off a SIM to the Land Registry to find out who owns it, according to them. My money being its the council, and they also own the fence . . . .

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote