SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 27-07-20, 09:20 PM   #7241
yokohama

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

I feel the same way. I've been stuck in the house since March and am unlikely to be physically back at work anytime soon. I hope things improve soon but seeing what's happening elsewhere, it doesn't look like the virus is going to quietly disappear.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-20, 09:34 PM   #7242
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Shop sounds cool, what's it called?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-20, 05:38 AM   #7243
Kenzie

He doesn't want to say, keeping the deals to himself!

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-20, 06:51 AM   #7244
yokohama

https://www.facebook.com/keithsandersoncameras/
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-20, 05:50 PM   #7245
Kenzie

Thanks Yoko, just sent them a message. Shame they don't have an online shop. Have you got an OM4 by the way? Just wondering how they handled compared to the OM2.

Last edited by Kenzie; 28-07-20 at 07:10 PM.
Old 28-07-20, 08:41 PM   #7246
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Cool, thanks
Old 29-07-20, 08:02 PM   #7247
Kenzie

Anyone bought a camera in from abroad? Seen some interesting gear from Ukrainian sellers. I know there will be VAT due on arrival. Worth a look? 133473698638

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kenzie; 29-07-20 at 08:07 PM.
Old 29-07-20, 09:28 PM   #7248
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I've had a few, with variable results. my first RF was the Contessamat, from Holland via Etsy, said to be fine but actually in desperate need of CLA. Refunded and kept it. Mamiya Six Automat from Japan, same. Super Fujica Six, can't remember if I got some refund, but otherwise the same. Contax ii from Germany, same. Contessa 35 (folding) from USA, just as described and very helpful. I've heard very polarised opinions about Japan. These have all been via ebay, except the first one.
In terms of non-EU, ebay global shipping usually tells you the costs up front, so you pay it then and that's all. In the case of the Contessa I don't know what info they put in, but it was £12 for delivery, and that was all, all fees, taxes etc. I fully expected another bill but it never came. I've also bought other non-EU stuff and it gets stopped by customs, who send you a bill plus handling fee. Sellers sometimes agree to put a low value on the docket to get it under the limit, but many won't, it's worth asking though as if they will then it means you're more likely to buy from them.
The super ikonta looks good, it's not such a special price, or is it? I don't know. Deffo need to clean the glass, and I'd lay money on needing to clean the shutter too. No surprise the focus doesn't work if the rotating wedge arm isn't raised! The VF and RF are separate on these BTW.
The PK/M42 ring came today, thanks! I'll have to send you the expired film some day.
Old 30-07-20, 05:10 PM   #7249
Kenzie

Some day...

Well my Contax arrived today. Very suprised that it came with a case (more on that in a mo). It was described as ugly, but I would call it well travelled. The lens is fine, slow speeds do work too. The serial number dates it to 1937, body and back numbers match which is good, but the viewfinder is a bit dull but usable. Don't worry, I know about the Contax Grip.

It has a couple of Zeiss bumps, but don't they all?

Now, on to the case. In good condition but comes with some history. Hopefully this case is the original as it states:

Lt. Col W.F.L Fava R.A.M.C. (the rank of Major has been crossed out and replaced with Lt.Col) This is the Royal Army Medical Corps. Now I punched this into the interwebs and it came back with this:

https://www.maltaramc.com/ramcoff/f/favawfl.html

Now if this is accurate it means he bought this camera on arrival in the England in 1937 and he was promoted from Major to Lt.Col in May 1943. He also served in India and Singapore. This camera may have been all over the world and carried during WW2. There is even a picture of him in the link.
Old 30-07-20, 06:20 PM   #7250
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Now that's cool