SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-01-20, 09:05 PM   #1
Eltham John

Default Another reason you should change that oil filter

My son's pointy developed an oil leak, not a lot but annoying nonetheless. Finally traced it to the oil filter- the front (top?) had become porous, and oil was permeating through the material. And one morning, after my 5-mile bit of motorway to work, I pulled up at the barrier and noticed that the gear pedal was slippery, also saw blue smoke and smelled burning oil- and then the small crack which had just appeared in my oil filter suddenly got a lot bigger, just as I hastily hit the kill switch. In both cases the bikes hadn't been in our possession long, so we didn't know how long the filters had been on, but those daft little sports mudguards ensure that the maximum amount of crud goes all up the front of the engine and the oil filter. I've now got a fender extender, but it only cuts it down a bit.

Oil filters aren't expensive, why risk an engine seize and a possible off.

Last edited by Eltham John; 10-01-20 at 09:06 PM.
Eltham John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 09:57 AM   #2
redtrummy

Default Re: Another reason you should change that oil filter

Mine was on the verge of rotting through as well - certainly something to watch
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-20, 10:15 AM   #3
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

That can be a problem when bikes are left fallow or not serviced on a regular basis. The oil filters can also seize to the bike making them a PITA to remove. I use the type with the 17mm Take-off,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV...oAAOSwGqxbImRl

Never had a problem with them
Old 12-01-20, 11:17 AM   #4
redtrummy

I dont do anywhere near the mileage to change it at normal service intervals. Hence it is a conscious decision to prolong oil/filter changes. This also goes for the other bike, car and m/home.
The filter is in a very exposed position. Since I am now an old fogy the bus pass gets used as much as anything!
Old 12-01-20, 11:23 AM   #5
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
I dont do anywhere near the mileage to change it at normal service intervals. Hence it is a conscious decision to prolong oil/filter changes. This also goes for the other bike, car and m/home.
The filter is in a very exposed position. Since I am now an old fogy the bus pass gets used as much as anything!
If you haven't already get some ACF50,

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle/default.htm

Not expensive as it seems as it goes a long long way. Spray onto rag and wipe on Metal/Plastic/Cooling pipes(Prevents them drying out/decaying) etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACF-50-Moto...8828102&sr=8-2

You may find it cheaper at a local Motorcycle shop now

I like this Amazon review,

Ok, I will start by saying I hate how much this product works. I really, really wanted it to be a pile of nonsense. Why? Because I had hoped that people saying £15 for WD-40 nerdy brother were idiots. Alas, I was the idiot.

I have a cruiser so, in accordance with international Fatboy laws, there is approximately 20 square feet of chrome on show at any time. Most of it has pits and marks now after 12 years and gives it that cool 'battle damaged' look. But you know what's better than that look - the blinding glare of pure chrome!

Made of unicorn tears and the brow sweat of vestal virgins, this stuff forms a brilliant barrier on all metal and keeps it slick and shiny for months. I just wish I could go back in time and throw a can at my bikes pervious owners. I class this the same as brake fluid and oil now - it is an essential step in maintenance, rather than a cosmetic step in cleaning. If you do nothing else on your bike then please, please spray this stuff on the metal. You'll be glad you did in years to come.

I'm in my 3rd year with my,"99" and she still looks like this,

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 12-01-20 at 11:36 AM. Reason: picture
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-20, 09:31 PM   #6
redtrummy

Looks good - will give it a go thanks
Old 13-01-20, 11:18 AM   #7
Fen Tiger

Having found a few dings in the filter when changing I had been considering some sort of protection. I fitted a fender extender when the bike was new but the filter is still vulnerable to stones. Has anyone fitted a cover on the filter?
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-20, 11:27 AM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen Tiger View Post
Having found a few dings in the filter when changing I had been considering some sort of protection. I fitted a fender extender when the bike was new but the filter is still vulnerable to stones. Has anyone fitted a cover on the filter?
No but a few years ago I was out riding with a few guys and Gals and one of the guys had a Striple I think and he'd chopped a Guiness beer can and made a cover over his oil filter. Did a real pro job. Looked great
Old 13-01-20, 02:05 PM   #9
Fen Tiger

Not a bad idea! Would only needs to cover the vulnerable front and lower front edge.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote