SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-09-10, 09:30 PM   #1
N8te rider

Default Stopped for doing 70 in a 50

Just had a nice chat with a Police biker about going a bit too briskly on my way home Weren't too many cars about this evening, going past the Ace cafe when I see a bright headlight following me. Thought it was a bigger bike wanting to get a move on so I keep a steady speed then eventually move to the middle lane to let him past. He moves with me so I move over again not seeing a bus wanting to pull out into my lane. After cutting in front of a lorry the blue lights come on and I get that sinking feeling. Points here we come.

He informs me of my riding and how to improve, checks my address and I take it on the chin and he says safe riding. No points . Thought I'd share this because I was impressed how he was concerned about my safety as a fellow biker and explained how I could have dealt with the hazards better.

Even though most of my attention was on this bright headlight following me I can't use that as an excuse. If the bus pulled out it would have been curtains. Next time if someone is following that close I should move over and pay more attention to what's happening in front of me. Safer riding is always a good thing. Thank you nice Police Biker
Old 07-09-10, 09:33 PM   #2
Kilted Ginger

Default Re: Stopped for doing 70 in a 50

Good to hear.
Old 07-09-10, 09:37 PM   #3
fenjer

Phew! Thought that was going to end badly there!
Old 07-09-10, 09:39 PM   #4
beabert

See, most are nice
Old 07-09-10, 11:51 PM   #5
ravingdavis

I've been pulled over by the police before for doing 80 in a 60. He pointed out all the things he could book me for (numberplate, exhaust etc). I was polite and didn't try to blag my way out of anything. He just, like your copper, commented on my riding and let me go.

Seemed like a nice guy. Nice coppers do exist apparently. Sometimes.
Old 08-09-10, 06:37 AM   #6
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Bet this thread won't go on for long.....
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 06:54 AM   #7
N8te rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Bet this thread won't go on for long.....
Probably not, but hope quite a few get to read it. Riding safer is a good thing. If anyone does get followed, keep as much attention to whats happening in front. When I think about it I could have been bug splat on the bus!
Old 08-09-10, 07:09 AM   #8
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Sounds like the bike Copper got his point across to you fairly well. To be fair, the only problems I have with the Police is with my CRB.

I stopped for a cuppa in Cheddar during the summer and got talking to a bike copper, he was checking out an accident site and was more concerned with safe riding than booking some one and was full of good advice to me as a newly passed rider.

I almost hate to disappoint you Red Herring, but he was a nice guy. Mind you had he nicked me for speeding, parking or any of the other naughty things I do, I am would probably have though he was a ponkey bucket!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 07:21 AM   #9
timwilky
Mega Poster

I have been pulled for 70 in a 30, nice clear road 4:30 am not a soul was stirring. (Except him, parked in a side road). I saw him as I passed, off the throttle no brakes and I see him in my mirror blues on.

I carry on through the traffic lights and turn onto the motorway when he pulls behind me, so over onto the hard shoulder.

You were going a bit fast down lancaster lane
Was I
Could you tell me the speed limit there?
30, but it used to be 40 and a few years ago was NSL
Well at least you know the road, I know you are no danger to anyone, but you didn't see me until it was to late. At your speed, you are at risk from others mistakes. Think on and slow down.

Now I knew I wasn't going to get done. but was intrigued, was he now going to have to continue down the slip road from Leyland to Standish (they had barriers on the services slip road at the time) or reverse the 100 yards. He was good and continued down the motorway. Me doing 70 with him behind me. Until he drew alongside wound down his window and gesticulated to get the f*** out of here.

But my best one was about 30 miles with the cops in front, alongside,behind ending at 135 when they waved me goodbye as I pulled onto my slip road. Sometimes they take the view that you are not doing anything unsafe just enjoying the road.
Old 08-09-10, 07:32 AM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I know you are no danger to anyone
Doesnt know you well then
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote