SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-12-14, 02:32 PM   #1
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default New TV - what size to get?

Howdoo

Looking for a new TV, but not sure what size to get. I am tempted to get the Samsung UE48H6400 or a similar 48", but the websites I've read are inconsistent with each other regarding viewing distance.

Width of the room is 3.3m, ass to tv is about 2.5, maybe 2.7m if I put it on the wall.

Some websites say I can get a 50-55" tv with a 2m distance, whilst others recommend having 3m for the 48"...

Much appreciated...
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-14, 03:39 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: New TV - what size to get?

depends on how much you like watching TV and Movies.

my room is 4mx5m in a funny sort of shape and i sit at about 2.7m away from the screen when watching Movies (i pull my Movie chair out to the centre of the room) and about 3m when watching TV and i have a 51'' TV which when funds permit will be increased to 60''. there is no substitute for size. the trick is to set up the colour etc.etc so you dont strain your eyes. also back lighting works wonders.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-14, 05:03 PM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

I remember going through the same thing a few years back when I got a new TV. I ended up going for 42" which was the bigger end of what the guides were saying was suitable. Now after a few years I think it's a bit dinky and something quite a bit larger would be fine, you really do get used to them. I'm sure the advent of HD has added at least one size to the equation.

Go big.

I popped into PC World/Curry's last week for something else and noted their TVs were set up with bench seating at what I'd guess was about 2.5m distance, and they had some humungous sets on display. Looked great.

Last edited by embee; 11-12-14 at 05:06 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-14, 12:03 AM   #4
haggis

Got a good deal on an f7000 series 55" Samsung in the summer. Previously had a 37 Toshiba. I was concerned about viewing distance and angle as we have a corner sofa, viewing at 3.5m. So a similar distance to your room Dyzio.

Shouldn't have worried, it's absolutely fine. You get used to it very quickly. Sure, the content can make a difference eg. the newscasters seem larger than life size sometimes, but for cinematic stuff and motogp it's bloody brilliant.