SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-04-10, 10:01 PM   #1
toby_smith

Default Snapped engine mounting bolt.

Are you in Manchester and an expert in getting snapped bolts out?

I've snapped an engine mount bolt, it's completely flush with the engine so I can't get anything round it. Not really confident enough to drill it and get a stud remover on it.

Just wondering if anyone was nearby and could help out, will pay all travel and time costs of course.

Cheers,

Toby

Last edited by Sid Squid; 12-04-10 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-04-10, 07:21 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Snapped engine mounting bolt.

Which mount is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby_smith View Post
Not really confident enough to drill it and get a stud remover on it.
Under no circumstances use one of those damn horrors.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 07:42 AM   #3
toby_smith

It's the one that screws directly into the engine at the front, LHS of the bike. Got a new bolt on the way but need to get the old one out!
Old 12-04-10, 08:26 AM   #4
Stig

When you get the new bolt, put the old head of the snapped bolt against the new one. You will then know the exact depth of the bolt stuck in the hole. Use tape on the drill bits to indicate the depth you need to go to. Use a center punch in the center of the snapped bolt and with a thin drill bit drill down the center of the bolt at the same angle the bolt goes in. Once you have reached the required depth, use the next size drill bit up. Each time going up one size and ensuring you are at the same angle each time. Eventually the bolt will be so thin it will probably just break apart. Even if it doesn't, it'll be so thin you would be able to unscrew it out of the hole.
Old 12-04-10, 04:08 PM   #5
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig_Of_The_Dump View Post
...Use a center punch in the center of the snapped bolt and with a thin drill bit drill down the center of the bolt at the same angle the bolt goes in...
Be especially careful with the angle of pressure on the drill bit, and wear safety glasses!!! I almost lost an eye once, breaking one of those thin drill bits!

Sid: I've used an Easy Out on a broken head bolt on my old Toyota pickup with really good results... Why "damn horrors"? I'm guessing your experience was different than mine?
Old 12-04-10, 08:11 PM   #6
gfewster

Stud extractors are absolutely fine if used properly.

The tricky part is drilling the hole, but as stated above start with a thin drill bit and be very careful. Once you have the hole up to a decent width (you don't need to go deep, 6-7mm in is plenty) then just stick a stud extractor in a tap wrench, whack it in the hole and twist anti-clockwise.

The wider you can make the hole, the thicker stud extractor you can use - which allows you to apply more pressure on the tap wrench without breaking anything.

Last edited by gfewster; 12-04-10 at 08:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 13-04-10, 09:26 AM   #7
danf1234

BE VERY CAREFUL. I snapped the stud extractor in the back wheel of my RGV 250 trying to free the rear disc. This is then game over. I ended up buying another back wheel. Fortunately it was only £50.