SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-08-08, 12:38 PM   #1
Jase22

Default Jacking up my sub frame

I've already got shorter dog bones (as short as I'm willing to go) and a Nitron shock on max length setting, but I want more height for my bike's low down bum. I recollect someone (socomm...?) doing this to the extreme, but just wondered if there was either:

a. somewhere that sells spacers or;
b. a template I could work from

I'm happy to get cracking myself, but it would certainly be helpful to have a starting point, and of course a hell of a sight easier if there's some pre-made bits!

I'm also aware that my shabby looking side panels probably won't fit if I make some sub frame adjustments, but I've also got a few tricks up my sleeve to cover those areas up.

So, here's hoping someone can give me a foot up to get this little project started.

Jase
Old 08-08-08, 04:23 PM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Jacking up my sub frame

One option which has been done in the past was quite simple, they removed the upper mounting point from the subframe and them removed a little secion of the upper subframe spar, they then welded the mounting point back on to the slightly shorter upper subframe.

This jacked the seat section up only, no need for dog bones or adjustable length shocks.
Old 08-08-08, 04:40 PM   #3
Jase22

It's more the look I'm after anyway, happy with the handling set up on shock length etc. I just mentioned that as people always ask whether I've got shorter linkages so pre-empted it!!

Cutting and re-welding doesn't sound too attractive at the moment (bike used daily), I was thinking more the case of inserting some spacers between the two mounts. Although, if I can get hold of a cheap subframe the cutting and re-welding option could be viable.
Old 08-08-08, 04:44 PM   #4
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase22 View Post
get hold of a cheap subframe the cutting and re-welding option could be viable.
Thats the way to do it if the bike is used daily, this is what I tend to do in these matters (not subframes).