SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-01-08, 08:29 PM   #1
Stig

Default Fabricating a bracket.

I am in the need to fabricate a bracket to support the clocks. I have no idea yet how I am going to achieve this task, I'll think about that when I have the material to be used.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on what to use

I thought of using some sort of sheet metal. But it will need to be pliable enough to bend into the position that I need. It will also need to be strong enough not to bend out of the position I want it in. Lastly in needs to be strong so as not to get metal fatigue due to the vibration that will inevitably be caused.

Idea's anyone
Old 14-01-08, 08:36 PM   #2
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fabricating a bracket.

im no metal expert but i'd say ally

wait for yorkie_chris he will know

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-08, 08:48 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I'm just revising for an engineering materials exam in the morning.

How convenient.

I'd use sheet metal, anything will do really, but make sure it's supported to that the clocks don't have significant leverage advantage on the bracket, the leverage stresses on the outside of the part cause tiny fractures to grow as well as work hardening the part making it less resistant to snapping.

If you can use sheet ally, and make the bracket a triangular shape so the parts are in pure tension and compression then that'll reduce the chance of fatigue failure.
Old 14-01-08, 10:31 PM   #4
StreetHawk

Cheese?
Old 14-01-08, 10:39 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_1871 View Post
Cheese?
Going for the original look are we?
Old 15-01-08, 01:56 AM   #6
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Sheet ally, get it into shape then weld on a couple of supports to stop it moving.

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-08, 09:37 AM   #7
ejohnh

I'd suggest 2 mm stainless. Or:

If you want to paint it then 2 mm mild steel. You'll need a bench vice to bend it neatly.

I'd be inclined to go for the mild steel - tough enough and easy to work.

A blowlamp for heating if you need any tricky bends.
Old 15-01-08, 10:06 AM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Oh Si, lend me you ally welding gear

Right getting realistic just for a moment, whilst others may have funds to burn, I'm guessing you won't want to be doing this more than once and at the most cost effective.

to that end, create a template,rough shape you want and showing the mounting holes, to do this get something like a metal biscuit tin lid (you should be able to cut it with snips (or a big pair of scissors, but don't tell Jo ), you should be able to try out various angles of bend to get the right ones.

Once this is done, if you want the shiney look get some stainless, however mild steel will be cheaper and if you're painting it it'll be just as good, 4mm sheet will do nicely and if you bring the template and sheet to me I'll fabricate it for you.

If on the other hand you want to do it yourself, then probably 2mm will do, but make sure you vector in either a central mounting point or one either side to fit a brace(s) to support it, given your access and tools, I'd drill and rivet it to the main bracket.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 15-01-08 at 10:08 AM.
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-08, 11:56 AM   #9
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Oh Si, lend me you ally welding gear

Right getting realistic just for a moment, whilst others may have funds to burn, I'm guessing you won't want to be doing this more than once and at the most cost effective.

to that end, create a template,rough shape you want and showing the mounting holes, to do this get something like a metal biscuit tin lid (you should be able to cut it with snips (or a big pair of scissors, but don't tell Jo ), you should be able to try out various angles of bend to get the right ones.

Once this is done, if you want the shiney look get some stainless, however mild steel will be cheaper and if you're painting it it'll be just as good, 4mm sheet will do nicely and if you bring the template and sheet to me I'll fabricate it for you.

If on the other hand you want to do it yourself, then probably 2mm will do, but make sure you vector in either a central mounting point or one either side to fit a brace(s) to support it, given your access and tools, I'd drill and rivet it to the main bracket.

Cheers Mark.
THIS is the sort of answer I was looking for. Thanks to the other suggestions though.

I shall have a looksee over extended weekend that I have coming up. I know exactly what you mean and will produce a template as soon as I can. The only issue that I have is where to mount a bracket from. For the naked yolk there were two handy threaded holes on the underside to mount from. On the faired yolk these are not there. Anyway I shall have a nose around and see what sort of creative mind I have. Thanks for the help. I hadn't thought of riveting a brace. Duh
Old 15-01-08, 12:18 PM   #10
TON2000

If you have the time, money and the inclination. as a fabricator myself i agree with all of the above statement. 2mm ally should do the job just fine. if you want to get a beautiful design on the go, i would suggest using auto cad and then get the part machined out. should look pucka and fit like a dream. providing that you have all the correct dimentions. also opens up the options of using diffrent materials such as plastics.

TON2000