SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-04-10, 10:23 PM   #1
Rog

Default Crappy 6 months then new bike coming yipee

Over the past year and especially 6 months I have had to watch my best friend and biking companion suffer and die at the hands of Cancer. What makes it worse was the fact that he was only 38, its just not right to see someone of that age to wither away and die over 12 months.

Anyway, as you can imagine I havent got out as much, my last ride with my friend and probably any ride of distance was late last summer. I took it out a few more times in the Autumn to my friends house, but it felt like I was rubbing in the fact that he was to ill to ride, so I stopped riding while I helped him as much as I could in my spare time.

After he departed I went out a few times and felt the magic had gone and all I could do was think of my friend and how it wasnt the same without him. I also realised that the bike I had bought to try and keep up with him was not really delivering the fun I wanted anymore.

With all this in mind I went to the local bike shop with the intention of asking them if I could sell my bike through his shop (They let some customers do this from time to time for a small fee). I really didnt want to do this, as I felt awful about giving up what is an important part of who I am, but thought, no I must persist.

It was here I saw the little XJ6N, power about the same as an SV650 more importantly 0% finance and with trading in my Daytona 675 I could get it for a song. So I took the little thing out for a test ride...............and I must say what a brilliant little bike it is. It really took me back to why I got into biking in the first place and the fact that it didnt take all my ability to ride it to it's potential, something I never did with the Daytona. before I new it I had traded in my Daytona for an all black brand spanker. It comes next weekend and I am really excited.

I know some may not understand why I would go from the Daytona, which I consider to still be the best sports bike I have ever riden, to what is for all intense and purpose is considered a new riders bike. But I think I have finally realised why many of you stick with the SV for so long. Yes there are more powerful bikes outthere with better suspensions and set ups. I now think however, that these supposed starter bikes sit perfectly where most of us as riders never actually move from in terms of ability or speed. Yes my Daytona could push 150mph but I hardly ever hit it, yes it could corner on rails but I never pushed it like that on the road, yes the brakes where awesome but I never had the guts to see what they could really do. In short, the bike was far better than me and by trying to focus on going faster and getting the most out of the bike I found more frustration in my lack of ability rather than enjoying the ride. This was never more apparent than after my friend had gone and I was riding mostly on my own, rather chasing him down and talking about how both of us were riding.

So this little bike I can bang of the limiter and not feel itimidated. It doesnt make feel a 103 when I get of it due to cramp. But most of all, I'm smiling again about riding and cant wait to run it in.
Old 25-04-10, 10:56 PM   #2
dill89

Default Re: Crappy 6 months then new bike coming yipee

Really sorry to hear about your friend, i can't imagine what you must have gone through.
but i'm glad to hear you're sticking with biking, as im sure you would probably agree that you're friend would not want you to give up bikes!
Glad you have found a bike that has brought back the excitement of riding too
I've had my '98 Fazer 600 for just over 2 years and i still to this day get excited about riding it. In fact at this moment in time it is ill (first time since ive had it) and it is booked in tomorrow morning to get looked at (carbs cleaned and such) and i can't express enough how excited i am to get it back and just ride her like i am able
Sure you'll see people hammering ahead of you and think "i wish i could go that fast" but at the same time as long as you are having a blast then that is the main thing

Hope it brings you a lot of happiness lad , you deserve it
Old 26-04-10, 02:08 AM   #3
BanannaMan

Sorry to hear of your friend.

Glad to hear you are riding again and have found a bike you enjoy.
(because that's what riding is all about)

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-10, 05:51 AM   #4
Bri w

Hi Rog,

I'm really sorry to read of your loss, and can understand why the buzz had gone out of riding. Sometimes changing something fundimental, like your bike, is needed to find that buzz again. What you change from to isn't important as long as you are happy.

Summer's coming, and running in the new bike is a great reason to get out there and enjoy.

Good luck,

bri

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-10, 07:52 AM   #5
ChrisSV

Sorry to hear about your friend.
but its glad to hear your enjoying biking again, and may you have many happy times together
Old 26-04-10, 11:31 AM   #6
davepreston

i shall echo everyone else comments and say you have my condolances over your friend, and yes now is time to get back to life
as for the reasoning of changing bike, i must say that is one of the best explained reasons ive heard in years for "downgrading" your bike ,cos its completely true , 90% of people cant ride to the full ability of the bike (not of the want of trying) and going for just the bike fast bikes doesnt help your riding it just makes you a straight way racer, hit the corner and its back to 15mph, as you say when you use a bike properly it feels awsome id rather have that than just knowing my bike could do 180mph even when id never get it there, sounds to me like youve made a cracking disisson there and hope you continue to enjoy your return to biking
dave