SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-09-05, 05:49 PM   #1
sprocket

Default Bike not making top speed.

OK heres a weird one ... I noticed this while I was in Germany, that my bike wouldn't go all the way to top speed. This is the first time i've not been able to reach top.

before heading to germany I put in a K&N filter but dont think this is the problem as I know I hit 130 with it in before Germany.

However I did need to play with my fuel mixture the day before heading to Germany, and I have a bad feeling that a piece of plastic fell off into my front cylinder.

After speaking to a mate of mine we came to the conclusion that this bit of plastic could more than likely be blocking the valve or keeping it held open slightly.

Now the question is, what could I do to clear this blockage, if this is infact the problem (certainly makes sense that this is the problem.) If not what else could be causing this?
Old 02-09-05, 06:32 PM   #2
trick

well hello there. i reckon that if the peice of plastic is blocking the vavle, then your engine wont run at all on the front and so itll stall your bike. if its keeping it open a bit and not letting it close properly, itll stop the cams going properly and will either stall your bike again or damage your valves. i think youll need to do a little bit of engine taking apart to fix it. or you could remove the airbox completely and you might be able to get a pait of tweasers in to pull the plastic out depending on where it is. worth a try

TRICK
Old 03-09-05, 11:48 AM   #3
skidmarx

a bit of plastic? it would be incinerated in a jiffy and wont be there for sure..........
Old 03-09-05, 11:51 AM   #4
sprocket

Yeha it thought it may have been completely destroyed Im gonna have to take a closer look once I've got the engine out of the frame. Gonna need to do a few bits to the engine anyway, so will be worth a shot.
Old 03-09-05, 03:12 PM   #5
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Afetrnoon.
Anything going into the cylinder would damage the valves for sure, It's more likely that it is stuck in the inlet tract therefore restricting the airflow.

Cheers
Old 03-09-05, 07:54 PM   #6
Stig

Having run a bike on one cylinder before. It will reach a max of about 90mph and the time that it takes to get there is quiet substantial.