SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-04-06, 02:20 PM   #11
sharriso74

You turn up and before everyone goes out you have a briefing. All the groups are seperate thank god!!! The one I went on you had an option of wearing an orange bib if it was your first track day so other riders would know and give you more space.

who are you doing it through could be tempted. Padock Hill is awesome you leave your stomach at the top
Old 20-04-06, 02:26 PM   #12
stewboy

ill be up for this,

its not too far form me .........
Old 20-04-06, 02:46 PM   #13
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

The day is typically 9-5 with an hour for lunch. Three groups get 20min/hour each, often the novices go third. There is a general briefing first thing, you must attend this as you usually get a wristband that you have to wear all day, and a sticker for your bike to show which group you're in. Afterwards the novices get more briefing which is why sometimes they go later (i.e. not first of the day - but not always). There'll be a hooter 5min before each session for you to get your **** on and form up. If there is a crash and the session stops, the time is lost. First thing and after lunch they'll probably take you on a sighting lap or two led by instructors, to relax you and show you lines. If you don't really get lines then try to be tucked up behind the instructor, cos if you're too far back you'll end up following someone who has as little clue as you do. you can always collar the instructors later and ask them to ride around with you, depending on what you don't feel comfortable with. You can wear an orange bib if you want, in the novice group unfortunately peoples' lines can be a bit unpredictable, so don't go in too hard in case you get run onto the grass, or they hit the brakes ten tenths at 400 yards out, etc.

Prices vary a lot, Brands Indy on a Saturday I guess is abotu £150? Weekdays are cheaper, so is winter. If you can do a weekday they tend not to be full, so you can keep an eye on the weather leading up to it then sign up on the day or just before.

If you can fill up just before you enter the circuit, fuel supplies can be tricky or you would have to go out between sessions or at lunch (1h40 - 1h for lunch plus your usual 40min off). A full tank should just last the day, though this is a fast track so you will use a bit more.

Finally there will be lots of people on serious-looking machinery that will put the wind up you. Fact is anyone can pay for it, but no one can tell who will go home with the biggest grin!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-06, 07:20 PM   #14
Warren

what about the photos?
where do you guys get them from ?

im gonna do an evening track day first at brands,
mabe next month.

what sort of things do they check for with your machine?
Old 20-04-06, 10:55 PM   #15
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod
PS Northwind, what happened to your avatar? Is there nothing you can't break?
Not got any photos of V3 of the bike just yet, my avatar broke for reasons unknown and it seems weird to put an out of date photo back up. But me and the red cross seem to go well together
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-06, 07:55 AM   #16
keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
what about the photos?
where do you guys get them from ?

im gonna do an evening track day first at brands,
mabe next month.

what sort of things do they check for with your machine?
they didnt check my machine at all, other than me producing a current MOT.

as for photos, thee is a resident photographer there who takes snaps throughout the day. towards the end of the penultimate session he'll hoist a flag or something similar saying photo's are available to view. you chose you pay you get the pics in a few days time. his handiwork can be seen below, thats me exiting Druids!

http://www.britishsportphotography.c...2_itemId=83110
Old 21-04-06, 11:32 AM   #17
Daimo

Maybe I could look at arranging a track day for the SV lot at Brands towards July/August time?

Currently arranging the Santa Pod day out, depends what kind of response I get on the day as to whether i'll arrange a group day out?

I have to say, im itching to have a crack round brands though. Think a Bikes the only thing i've not been round it on
Old 21-04-06, 07:54 PM   #18
northwind
Mega Poster

At Knockhill they usually do self-certification... You fill in a wee form to say it's all safe and legal. Lsat time I was there I inadvertantly ticked that one of my tyres was bald, they didn't notice
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-06, 04:49 PM   #19
xj/frosty

I run trackdays over here.
To make you guys n gals sick mine cost $100 which I think is about 30 quid
Any hoo below are the rules for the trackdays I run-probably similar to over there
ALL ATTENDING TRACK DAY PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY
I want one and all to have a bloody good time so there are some points that are NON negotiable.

1) Bike setup/gear setup.
ALL BIKES/RIDERS going on the track will be scrutineered.
basicly bike needs to be able to pass a WOF (mot) but below are some specifics.
No sharp/edges/loose parts
Tyres must be road legal for road bikes.
ball ends on all levers to be in place.
.Mirrors removed or taped up.
No leaking fluids.
GLASS headlights to be removed or taped up to prevent glass flying if you crash .
Pack rack uppers to be removed -L arms to be taped over-preferably plugged.(again those w
No open tube ends on handlebars. (PLASTIC WINE CORKS MAKE GOOD PLUGS)
Brakes to work propperly front and rear.
Its preferable to have you tape over your speedo.(Its just a distraction) .
Riding gear-A full face helmet good fitting with no damage into the shell.
gloves,bike boots,,leather one piece or two piece.suit.cudura 2 piece for slow group only
A back protector isn't compulsary but VERY strongly suggested

THE ONUS IS ON YOU TO MAKE SURE YOUR BIKE/GEAR IS UP TO SCRATCH
-weepy fork seals (oil not running down the fork leg) ,slightly worn swing arm bearings and similar may not stop you getting on the track -BUT as a couple of members have discovered it really mucks up your handling and spoils your enjoyment of the day.Its a great excuse to get those niggly little issues sorted.

-2 RULES FOR THE DAY
1 Show concideration for everybody else out there
2 Stick to your line -Dont try to get out of anybodys way or deliberately block.
3 when overtaking make sure you can do so safely.If in doubt -DON'T
4 if you see a RED flag waving anywhere on the track SLOW TO CRUISING SPEED THEN pull into the pits via the pits exit straight away -the clock will be stopped on your session so ya aint gonna miss out on laps. ANYONE trying to sneak an extra lap will miss out on the rest of that session.
5 If a slower rider is holding you up either use rule 3 or ride slowly through the pits and let em get ahead. -again--it aint a race.
6 when leaving the track pull to the far right side of the track and nearing pits exit hold your left hand up to let other riders know you are leaving the track.
7 if you are unlucky enough to run off the track raise your hand in the air to let us know you're ok.
dont look back -the onus is on anyone passing you to do so safely
9) if you are unfortunate enough to crash (it wont happen but just in case)
Your bike and gear needs to be rescrutineered before you can go back on the track.
10) obey the group passing rules to be explained on the day
11)Dangerous riding has a zero tolerance.You will be sitting out the rest of the day.
12) NO alchohol to be consumed in the pits area untill end of day.-by riders or spectators.-
Again guys N gals I really want one and all to have a good time so these rules are to protect us all.
Old 23-04-06, 10:02 AM   #20
sweepdoggydog

cheers for all the advice its much appreciated. I still haven't booked the day yet, but I'm already getting excited, I've got a couple more questions though - I think I'm gonna need to get some new tyres before the day, Diablo's have been recommended, as long as the track day goes well i will intend to do more over the summer, so the tyres need to be able to handle both track and road action, anyone got any advice? Next question is the Brands Hatch Indy circuit a good first time track or are there better ones (close to London)?

Cheers