SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-04-09, 03:05 PM   #1
AndyL

Default Pillion Worries/Questions

Pillion Worries

Im going to be taking my first pillion passenger this weekend and wondered if there is any advice/anything I should be aware of. I am already aware that I need to adjust the rear suspension setting (although havent looked how to do it yet) is there anything else? tyre pressure?

Are there any tips for carrying pillion passengers?

The main thought at the moment is how does the pillion mount the bike? (this may seen obvious to someone who has done it or seen it before, but not me lol), does the rider get on first and then the pillion climb on after (leaving the sidestand down)?

Cheers for any advice

Andy
Old 02-04-09, 03:09 PM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pillion Worries/Questions

Search showed up a number of threads on this...

Try this one for starters... http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...t=pillion+tips
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 03:10 PM   #3
Magnum

I made a similar thread before, may find a few helpful tips in here:
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=125341
Old 02-04-09, 04:56 PM   #4
metalangel

Only thing I'd add to all this is that I prefer her to hold onto the rail when we're in town and me when we're on the motorway.

Reason being that in town all the stopping and starting means she keeps sliding into me and I have to stop her momentum with my wrists which HURTS, whereas on the motorway that's not such an issue and it's more comfortable for her to hold onto me as opposed to arms tucked behind clutching the rail.
Old 02-04-09, 05:01 PM   #5
Alpinestarhero

Andy, good question and dont fel bad for starting your own thread on this. The main point is you'll have more weight; so leave more distance to slow/come to a stop, rmember you'll have to slip the clutch a bit more, careful filtering in traffic, and the acceleration wont be as responsive - you might wanna have a few more revs showing than normal for overtakes etc.

Discuss with your pillion a code; something they can say to slow down, something they can say they need to stop and get off, etc. Remember they are there and that the ride is for both of you to enjoy.

I love taking pillions, sharing a great ride with maria is a great feeling!

Have fun

Matt
Old 02-04-09, 05:11 PM   #6
RichT

When my other halves on the back I wear love handles... She more comfortable with htis (grab rail removed)... which is my point - make it as comfortable for your pillion as possible.
Old 03-04-09, 09:31 AM   #7
AndyL

So is it best for the pillion passenger to mount the bike by putting all their weight on one peg and straddling the bike whilst im on it? Will one peg take this much weight?
Old 03-04-09, 09:37 AM   #8
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
So is it best for the pillion passenger to mount the bike by putting all their weight on one peg and straddling the bike whilst im on it? Will one peg take this much weight?
Yes it will. If they are struggling with the high pillion peg then they can use yours to step onto the bike. Lissa often has to do this. Also make sure they don't mount the bike until you are ready.
Old 03-04-09, 12:56 PM   #9
Nicky S
Mega Poster

you sit on the bike first with the stand up holding the bike with your legs and the pillon jets there leg over and uses you like a climing fram easy as that :P

Nicky S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 01:03 PM   #10
missyburd

If your pillion is quite small then he/she may have to use your footpeg as Pete has said. I can fortunately reach the pillion peg so I put my left foot on that and, leaning on Chris a little I swing my right leg over onto the other peg. Takes a bit of getting used to, especially when the bike is loaded up with luggage, but after the first few gos it will become second nature for your pillion As long as you are stood steady so the pillion knows the bike's not going anywhere then there should be no problems!