SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-11-06, 02:14 PM   #1
sinbad

Default No service history

Hi folks,
I'm looking at an SV650s on a 54 plate with 7000 miles on the clock. It's a Euro import and looks (to me, a bike newbie) to be in very very nice condition, the engine runs very sweetly. On the downside, it has no service history and is due one. Alarm bells. Walk away time? I've haggled him down to £2500 which is fair in light of the lack of a service book.

Should also add that the bike is HPi clear.
Old 06-11-06, 02:29 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

How many owners and is the seller the registered keeper?Has it still got the original tyres,as at that mileage the front could still be OEM.Look hard at the chain as that should still be the original.I think Suzuki still fitted endless DID chains then.If the mileage seems to tally with the condition of the bike,it would be good to try to confirm that the first 600 mile running in service was done.Can you get someone who knows a bit about bikes to look it over with you?It's a buyer's market at this time of year so keep haggling.
Old 06-11-06, 04:55 PM   #3
IanG

Have the lights checked out if its a Euro import as the lights point to the right instead of the left and you would have trouble with MOT!

May get hassle with insurance Check with your insurance company first before buying
Old 06-11-06, 05:13 PM   #4
NedSVS

7000 miles is nothing for an SV engine. Even if the oil had never been changed I wouldn't worry too much. It is much more important that it has never been allowed to run low and dealer servicing is no guarentee of that My 2001 SV650S model, a French parallel import, has had its headlamps adjusted to dip to the left and has passed its' MOTs ok. I'm insured through Carrol Nash and told them it was a parallel and they were not interested; it was grey imports they were concerned about.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 05:53 PM   #5
hovis

me thinks you could get a uk bike with history for same price if you are willing to travel